Asked on Apr 28, 2018

Using old washtubs on shepherd’s rods as planters

Rose JonesSharonNancy Turner
+8

I‘ve seen several pictures using old washtubs hanging on shepherd’s rods as flower planters. When I tried this last year, the weight of the washtub with the flowers in it caused the shepherd’s rod to bow forward and pull out of the ground. How can I prevent that from happening as I love the look and want to do it again this year.

• Chubby58
    Chubby58

Put the shepards hook in a slant in the ground. That way it will balance out when you hang the was tub. You can also dig a hole in the ground, put a piece of steel metal rod about a foot in the ground, put your pole in there, that will give it stability.

• Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

And put charcoal or plastic water bottles in the bottom of the wash tubs—quite a lot of them. Then put in your potting soil and plants. Saves weight, soil, and drainage. ☺️
  • Emily
    Emily

If your washtub is anything like I would recognize as a wash tub, (that is something bigger than the usual kitchen sink) it would way too heavy, empty; to use this way.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

You could try putting them up with two shepards hooks for more stability. With the double hook ones, I put in one of the heavy metal stakes so that the rod for the hook is inside the channel and that helps keep it more upright and secure for the weight of two hanging pots with soil, plant water and wind trying to tip them over.
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Get the 1/2 cast iron shepards hooks, not the wire ones.
  • Rose Jones
    Rose Jones

Thanks for the information! I’ve ordered a couple of them!