Mini Garden of Flowers or How to Make a Mini-garden

$20
4 Months

When you downsize and sell a house with an acre to buy a postage size yard and single wide to help your hospitalized son, it is no sacrifice to a parent. However, there are disappointments. The best way to help yourself and be a blessing to new neighbors would be to start a flower garden! This is our "postage" size flower garden in a postage size yard. This home needed a garden be it ever so tiny!
Here is our home when we first moved in. It was difficult but not impossible to plant flowers in the small, hard compacted yard.
First, we put in planters, potting soil, and lots of mulch for our dry climate. Then we planted a few perennials including bushes.
Our small porch contained a few potted annuals. The deck we needed would have to wait. Our mini-porch was full of blooms!
Some perennials were bushes. Here are a few of the mini-roses for our mini flower garden.
Other bushes include my beloved holly, red roses, and a variegated bush common in our area.
Our annuals mostly consisted of petunias, mini-petunias, and sweet William Dianthas.
Petunias spread out and really fill in our planter before fall.
Other perennials included day lilies and
Hyacinths and a few tulips. The tulips are about gone here. I added a mini-colorful fence for more color.
The deck we built was large enough to hold potted vegetables in our mini-garden. This year my husband painted it. I love our new deck.
Another way to add plants in a mini-garden is to use pots. We chose geraniums, sweet William Dianthas, mini-petunias, and a succulent of chicks and hens. I did not know chicks and hens bloomed until ours did!
Our home is still on a tiny lot and we only have a mini-garden of flowers, but people stop me on the street all summer and ask me about our roses and comment on our yard. It no longer looks depressing or empty. Our mini-garden makes it feel like home.

• Flowers  (Home improvement)
  • Bushes  (Home Improvement)
  • Containers for plants  (Home Improvement)

• JJ

My son is also in the hospital a LOT...had to quit my job until treatment ends which is months away so not much of a budget for my yard. I love what you've done! I'm sitting here staring at what I have to work with and you've given me the motivation to get going!! Thank you, its beautiful! hugs also...❤

• Carey

You have done a marvelous job of adding flowers to your mini yard. I am moving from a large yard to a smaller one and am working at adding flowers to my new yard now. I love your ideas! Since I know that I can't care for a big yard anymore it is a challenge to put in the most special things and eliminate the excess. GREAT JOB!

• DesertRose

I am so glad you got some ideas from our yard work. Good luck on your new home and garden, Carey.