Got Snow Mold on Your Grass? Here's How to Repair It!

$0

Does your after winter lawn look like this? That is snow mold, (or snow rot) a fungus that can severely damage your lawn. This easy repair tip can help mitigate the damage to your lawn caused by snow mold.
got snow mold on your grass here s how to repair it
Gray snow mold most often occurs when the ground is covered continuously with snow for 40+ days. Pink snow mold (which actually looks white) does not require any snow cover to develop. The constant freeze-thaw cycle of snow and ice on grass will do it.

For those not in the northeast… most snow in my area of New York State doesn’t stay on the ground all winter. One day it will be 30° and snowing, the next day 45°, melted and gone, the day after 60°, and then back down to 20° for a few days. Rinse and repeat that cycle for January and February. The constant freeze-thaw cycle is hard on the grass.
Now, since I am not a lawn care guy, I can’t tell the difference in the two molds (they both look white to me), so I go about the exact same repair every year: I rake. And every year, my grass comes back nice and green a few weeks later when spring really comes.
I have been doing this for about 30 years now. I learned this from my father who learned it from his mother (my grandmother). Raking gets rid of the dead grass, the debris, and allows the sun to come in and green up your lawn nicely. 
I raked up all the dead grass, leaves, and snow mold, pressing down into the grass. I sometimes went over the same spot 3-4 times so I could actually see the white fly (which probably spreads it, but what are you gonna do?).

A few days later, green grass blades start to grow and show through, and you should start to see real improvement by the end of a week.
For more Snow Mold Prevention Tips, click here!
Ann's Entitled Life

• Nanci Plante

just moved into a new house in New England so I feel the same pain as you do....Closed on the house in October so barely had time for fall cleanup. I plan to get out there and start raking my 1/2 acre back yard right after work. Thanks for the tip

:)

• Cory Layne

I've got a fixer-upper in central Maine if you are interested. Only 27 miles NW to Mt Katahdin in Baxter State Park or 25 NE to Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument. If you love the great outdoors and want to finish a grand old house to your liking, I've done most of the repairs, cleaned top to bottom, replaced 17 of the 24 windows with low-E double pane windows, and am remodeling the bathroom now. Less than $60K on large corner lot with 4 stately sugar maples along the front, garage with new reinforced concrete floor, and garden area with raised beds ready for spring. Snow is finally melting. Reply if you want to know more.

• Darla

Dethatching your lawn isn't a new idea but it is hard tiring work. To make it easier you can buy a thatching blade for your lawn mower. I have done it both ways and the special dethatching blade for your lawn mower is faster if not cheaper. Takes less time too.