Ruth
Ruth
  • Tutorial Team

Old Water Trough to a Patio Storage and Table

$20

Table top challenge got me going on this idea for a table and storage on my patio. Of course I had most the items around here. I had drug home this water trough from one of the neighbors curb just wasn’t sure if it would be a bench of some kind or a table. I have seen many different things made out of them. I think maybe I Like my idea, we have already used it 3 or 4 times with Appetizers and cold drinks
old water trough to a patio storage and table
Rusty old water trough after I added 2x4’s and casters.
I flipped it over and cut two 2x4’s for support of my casters. Drilled holes and secured them to trough with nuts and bolts for extra support so the casters wouldn’t buckle when it had weight in it.

My son in law is a hardwood floor installer and left some beautiful solid maple hardware in my shop for me to Do something with. I got out my wood glue and clamps and went to work. Using a rubber mallet to fit together the tonguse and groove with glue on each piece. I got a section big enough for water trough with a couple of inches around the edge. I clamped in and let it a couple days t set up. Once the glue was all dry. I flipped over trough onto the wood and traced around with a pencil and used a sanding block as a guide to give me my overhang. Then got out the jigsaw and cut it out.
After my glue set I pulled out my orbital sander and smoothed the cuts and any glue that oozed out but left the imperfection. I like rustic look. My son in law also gave me some hardwood floor stain so I used it to stain the table top.
once the stain was dry I went back over with Thompson water seal for outdoor protection. I applied two coats of Thompson’s water seal.
I didn’t hinge the top to trough so I could just lift it up and add whatever I wanted. Cushions will fit perfect inside or I Could even take the top off and add ice for cold drinks when having a summer party.
Finished outdoor table
Finished outdoor table
It works great with my lower chairs I just roll whenever I need it.
Added so much to our sitting area. Complete and we will enjoy all summer long. Goes great with my repurposed patio rockers but that is another post.

• Ella

what did you do yo rusty inside to use it?

• Ruth

I like the idea of clear coat on the inside. I didn’t do anything but let it dry out. But I like the idea of clear coat.

• Mary Jo Bragg Lopez

what can be done with old wooden blind slats

• Ruth

Are you asking me if it could be done with old wooden blind slats? I would say sure it would be a light weight option for top. I like to make slat board sighs with old wooden blinds. They are light weight and the back cross slat doesn’t show as much.

• Hix1418088

I actually have one of the watering troughs that my husband brought home from his working on a friends farm. I had no idea what to do with it...Now I do!!! Thanks for a great upcycling idea. Definitely my next project!!!

• Ruth

Hope it turns out wonderful!