Dear Hometalk: How Do I Add More Storage to My Small Kitchen?

$60

Do you have a small kitchen like I do? I have a cute, cheap, easy solution for you!

Here's my tight kitchen; counters packed, cabinets stuffed. But here's the answer...
First, I hopped over to Michael's to purchase 3 wooden crates.
Next, I went to Home Depot & purchased some lockable Swivel Caster wheels, wood glue & some metal mending plates.

First, start by removing labels& sanding the crates. Mine was a little rough so I wanted to make sure it was smooth.
Next, remove the top two wooden slats from each crate. I used the hammer claw to loosen the slat & then knocked it off with the front of the hammer.
Most of the brad nails came out with the wood, but you can also remove them with pliers.
After that, it's time to start assembly! Use some wood glue to attach the bottom crate to the middle crate & let it dry for a little bit to let the glue set. After that, attach the middle crate to the top.
Let this dry. Next, flip it around & add the metal mending plates to add some extra security. You could probably skip this step but I wanted to make sure mine was extra sturdy.
Next, add some paint, stain, or leave it raw! (You could also do this step before you assemble). I knew I was going to distress mine with sandpaper so I didn't use primer with the paint. After painting, you could also add some varnish to set it.
After you've let the paint or stain dry, flip the cart over. Grab two of the slats you knocked off to add more support to the bottom. Again, you can removed the brad nails with pliers. Next, wood-glue them into place. After the glue dries, it's time to add the wheels! I started by laying them all out & marking where the screws were going to go. Then, I drilled a hole (this is to prevent the wood from splitting). Finally, twist the screws into place with a screwdriver.

**Please note that the wood has the potential to split. This is another reason I added the wood slats to the bottom for extra support. When screwing, don't force the screw in & as long as the screw is the proper size & you add at least two of them to the wheel it should be secure.

You're done! This little cart is SO CUTE & could go pretty much anywhere in your home!
Don't have enough cabinet space? You can use this cart to hold plates, water bottles, glasses & bowls. Super cute, & easy access!
Don't have a pantry? You can use this to hold pantry items! Make sure if you add snacks or other types of food that it's enclosed in a container so you don't attract bugs or mice. Store flour, sugar, plastic bags, snacks, spices, the possibilities are endless!
Does your pet take up too much of your cabinet space? Make a little pet cart! You can hold their toys, food, treats, kitty litter for cats or leashes for dogs.
Need something fun for entertaining? Add some glasses & some wine to make it a bar cart!
Coffee maker taking up too much room? Make a coffee station! You can sit your coffee maker in the top & add K Cups, mugs & tea bags onto the other shelves!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Granny

Where did you put your cart in your kitchen?

Thank you

• Pat Long

In the video, it shows placement next to the refrigerator.

• Heje

Have you thought about taking the leftover slats and using them to make a flat area to set the coffee maker? It could be removable or even set at an angle. Love your idea!

• Barbara Cole

Needed a pic of how you used this in your kitchen.

• Maude LaFountain

I love this idea ....My kitchen is small and to be honest you have more cabinets than I do ....lol....But I love this and I already have 2 crates maybe 3 I will look and I'm pretty sure I have the Casters too ......I will be making this if not for my kitchen then for my craft room for sure ....thanks for sharing

• Aubrey

I love this!! And I work at Michael's!! Lol. I will be passing your creation on if storage ideas come up!!