Patio Cushion Rehab With Paint

148 Views
My patio furniture was still in great shape but the cushions had faded terribly. 20 new cushions would be waaay more than what I spent on the entire set! And other than being faded, the cushions were still in great shape as well. I also couldn’t stand the thought of 20 cushions ending up in a landfill just because they were no longer attractive. I read that they could be painted with latex or acrylic paint mixed with water and fabric medium. So, I decided to give it a try. I figured, “What have I got to lose?” I took the risk and couldn’t be happier with the results!
Time: 3 DaysCost: $65Difficulty: Easy
  • patio cushion rehab with paint
I pressure washed all 20 cushions and let them dry in the sun. Since my cushion covers are removable, I beefed up the bottom cushions with an extra inch of foam sandwiched in between the existing foam. Because I was keeping them the same color, I took one cushion to Lowe’s with me that still had a spot of the original color and had them color match a quart of exterior latex paint. I chose exterior in hopes that it will be less prone to future fading. I mixed one part each of paint, water and fabric medium.
Before painting, I lightly misted each cushion with water in order for the paint to spread more evenly.
  • patio cushion rehab with paint
I used a one inch brush around the piping and a two inch brush on the main body of the cushion. I really worked the paint into the fabric, doing the sides first, then the top or front and left them to dry. Once dry, I flipped them and did the bottoms and back sides. Most cushions only required one coat. The really faded ones got two coats.
All 20 cushions brought back to their original color! It only cost me $65.00 and took three days! I’m truly blown away by the results. They look exactly as they did when I first bought them. I’ve been sitting on them for days now and there’s no cracking in the fabric. It is very soft and flexible.

Suggested materials for this project:

• 1 quart of Olympic One exterior paint/primer  (Lowe’s)
  • 2 rolls of 1 inch mold/mildew resistant foam  (Walmart)
  • 2 8 oz bottles of Ceramcoat textile medium  (Michael’s)