Angela
Angela
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Sumner, WA

Patio Cushion Rehab With Paint

$65

My patio furniture was still in great shape but the cushions had faded terribly. 20 new cushions would be waaay more than what I spent on the entire set! And other than being faded, the cushions were still in great shape as well. I also couldn’t stand the thought of 20 cushions ending up in a landfill just because they were no longer attractive. I read that they could be painted with latex or acrylic
patio cushion rehab with paint
I pressure washed all 20 cushions and let them dry in the sun. Since my cushion covers are removable, I beefed up the bottom cushions with an extra inch of foam sandwiched in between the existing foam. Because I was keeping them the same color, I took one cushion to Lowe’s with me that still had a spot of the original color and had them color match a quart of exterior latex paint. I chose exterior in hopes that it will be less prone to future fading. I mixed one part each of paint, water and fabric medium.
Before painting, I lightly misted each cushion with water in order for the paint to spread more evenly.
patio cushion rehab with paint
I used a one inch brush around the piping and a two inch brush on the main body of the cushion. I really worked the paint into the fabric, doing the sides first, then the top or front and left them to dry. Once dry, I flipped them and did the bottoms and back sides. Most cushions only required one coat. The really faded ones got two coats.
patio cushion rehab with paint, Before and after of back cushions
Before and after of back cushions.
patio cushion rehab with paint, Painted back cushion unpainted bottom cushio
Painted back cushion, unpainted bottom cushio
patio cushion rehab with paint, After photo of completed cushions
After photo of completed cushions.
patio cushion rehab with paint, Conversation area with newly painted cushions
Conversation area with newly painted cushions
patio cushion rehab with paint, Dining area with newly painted cushions
Dining area with newly painted cushions
All 20 cushions brought back to their original color! It only cost me $65.00 and took three days! I’m truly blown away by the results. They look exactly as they did when I first bought them. I’ve been sitting on them for days now and there’s no cracking in the fabric. It is very soft and flexible.

• 1 quart of Olympic One exterior paint/primer  (Lowe’s)
  • 2 rolls of 1 inch mold/mildew resistant foam  (Walmart)
  • 2 8 oz bottles of Ceramcoat textile medium  (Michael’s)

• Rkl7711582

Great Idea. I live in AZ and the sun is brutal on patio cushions. What is the ratio mixture of paint, water, fabric medium?

Where did you get your fabric medium?

you have inspired me to give it a try. Thank You.

• Angela

I used equal parts paint, water and fabric medium. The fabric medium can be purchased at Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, Joanne’s Fabrics or any craft store. I believe Walmart carries it as well but my Walmart was out.