Angela
Angela
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Sumner, WA

Patio Cushion Rehab With Paint

$65

My patio furniture was still in great shape but the cushions had faded terribly. 20 new cushions would be waaay more than what I spent on the entire set! And other than being faded, the cushions were still in great shape as well. I also couldn’t stand the thought of 20 cushions ending up in a landfill just because they were no longer attractive. I read that they could be painted with latex or acrylic
patio cushion rehab with paint
I pressure washed all 20 cushions and let them dry in the sun. Since my cushion covers are removable, I beefed up the bottom cushions with an extra inch of foam sandwiched in between the existing foam. Because I was keeping them the same color, I took one cushion to Lowe’s with me that still had a spot of the original color and had them color match a quart of exterior latex paint. I chose exterior in hopes that it will be less prone to future fading. I mixed one part each of paint, water and fabric medium.
Before painting, I lightly misted each cushion with water in order for the paint to spread more evenly.
patio cushion rehab with paint
I used a one inch brush around the piping and a two inch brush on the main body of the cushion. I really worked the paint into the fabric, doing the sides first, then the top or front and left them to dry. Once dry, I flipped them and did the bottoms and back sides. Most cushions only required one coat. The really faded ones got two coats.
Before and after of back cushions.
Before and after of back cushions.
Painted back cushion, unpainted bottom cushio
After photo of completed cushions.
After photo of completed cushions.
Conversation area with newly painted cushions
Dining area with newly painted cushions
Dining area with newly painted cushions
All 20 cushions brought back to their original color! It only cost me $65.00 and took three days! I’m truly blown away by the results. They look exactly as they did when I first bought them. I’ve been sitting on them for days now and there’s no cracking in the fabric. It is very soft and flexible.

• 1 quart of Olympic One exterior paint/primer  (Lowe’s)
  • 2 rolls of 1 inch mold/mildew resistant foam  (Walmart)
  • 2 8 oz bottles of Ceramcoat textile medium  (Michael’s)

To see more: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fairfield-Project-Foam-24-inches-x-72-inches-x-1-inch/41386701

• Ruth

Great Idea. I live in AZ and the sun is brutal on patio cushions. What is the ratio mixture of paint, water, fabric medium?

Where did you get your fabric medium?

you have inspired me to give it a try. Thank You.

• Angela

I used equal parts paint, water and fabric medium. The fabric medium can be purchased at Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, Joanne’s Fabrics or any craft store. I believe Walmart carries it as well but my Walmart was out.

• Rosana Halprine

Can you tell me if the fabric is indoor/outdoor type. I am hoping to do the same to the outdoor furniture that I have.

• Wendy

Wow, what a phenomenal makeover!

• Barb Orthmann

This is an incredible makeover and I am so glad you posted! I have outdoor cushions that need this! Thank you!

• Angela

Barb, you should go for it. It was so easy, albeit a little time consuming (but worth it!). I refused to second mortgage my house just to buy new cushions! Wow, they are crazy expensive!