Lisa Cain
Lisa Cain
  • Tutorial Team
  • Willowbrook, IL

Serving Tray Gets BIG Redo...

$20

I found this tray at Goodwill. It was stained and not attractive, but big and beautiful at the same time. I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do with it.
serving tray gets big redo
This is the original tray. A few stains, and worn, but good and sturdy.
serving tray gets big redo
I painted the tray with Waverly Chalk paint. It did take a couple of coats to completely cover the wood.
serving tray gets big redo
This is what it looks like with 2 coats. I did have to retouch a few spots as well. And I took the handles off.
serving tray gets big redo
I ended up painting the handles with Waverly chalk paint in black. Not perfectly, just good enough for some coverage, because I liked the worn look of them.
serving tray gets big redo
I already had these two items in my "stash" bin, and knew right when I saw the tray, that I would be using them for this. Love the two together. Cut them out of the paper they were copied onto.
serving tray gets big redo
Mod Podged them onto the inside of the tray. Put Mod Podge on tray, then placed each piece individually, and smoothed out any bubbles. After dry, I went over the tops again with Mod Podge to seal. Then after they were dry I distressed them just a SMALL bit with a sanding block.
serving tray gets big redo
Here's before sanding.
serving tray gets big redo
I painted the back as well, as it was wood and didn't match.
serving tray gets big redo
I loved it but decided it needed something more to stand out. So I taped off the sides, to create a line in the middle, and painted it with the Waverly Black Chalk paint.
serving tray gets big redo
And put the handles back on....YES!!!!! Isn't she beautiful. The extra lines on the side just made it.
serving tray gets big redo
Decided to "stage" my product a bit and did a small photo shoot. Who DOESN'T love a photo shoot!!! And who doesn't love champagne!
serving tray gets big redo
Breakfast anyone on your new serving tray? It's big too so can hold quite a bit. So don't pass ANY trays up you see..there is so much you can do with them and it's so easy. I have another flat tray...in my craft room...just WAITING for it's redo!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of July 17, 2018 10:59 PM - More info