How to Clean Your HE Dryer

689 Views
We have a set of front loading Whirlpool HE Duets, they are stacked. We purchased them in 2010. So, I'm doing laundry one day and the dryer said NOPE, not today lady! Oh My Gosh! Why don't these appliances give you any warning? I mean, leave me a note saying you're going on vacation or something!
Time: 6 HoursCost: $15Difficulty: Medium
  • how to clean your he dryer
For safety we used a stacking kit that holds them together and keep them from moving apart during the washing and drying processes.  Our dryer model number is WED95HEXW0, and this post will show you how we cleaned our dryer.

In the process of both of us on the internet and Youtube doing research on how to DIY home repairs of our dryer, I found out that you should clean your dryer at least once every two years.  I never knew that I was supposed to internally clean it/have it cleaned.  Oooopsie! It saves you money to keep your dryer clean!

NOTE:  There are many different models of Whirpool machines, so if yours isn't the same model as ours, it may look totally different.
  • how to clean your he dryer
This is what our laundry room normally looks like on the weekends.  Both machines going literally all day long.  I'm the type of person that can't stand for the laundry to pile up, so its done every weekend, without fail.  Washed, dried, folded, hung and put away all in one day.....sometimes it takes me two days. 

Oh, by the way, you should try my homemade laundry soap and softener.  They are so good and we are saving so much money by using them! Visit our blog here to get the recipes.
  • how to clean your he dryer
Our laundry room is tiny, so we had to disassemble it to get to the machines.  If you want to see how we  created this room, click over to our blog for the links to each project. Link down below this post.
  • how to clean your he dryer
We moved in our home back in March of 2011 and so did these machines.  They have not moved since we placed them in their spot.  Um, eeeeww!!  Dust bunnies and dirt everywhere! Yuck!

NOTE:  Before you start with cleaning your dryer, please make sure you disconnect the machine from the electricity.  We also removed the dryer vent duct and the water line so we could pull the machines out away from the wall.

After disconnecting all the power in back, he removed the top cover.
  • how to clean your he dryer
This is looking in from the top.
  • how to clean your he dryer
There are LOTS of pieces (and one million screws) to remove to get to the inside parts that need to be cleaned.
  • how to clean your he dryer
There are several helpful Youtube videos that you should really watch before attempting this project.
  • how to clean your he dryer
WOW! It's really bad! More up close pictures on our blog, link down below.
  • how to clean your he dryer
I used our small shop vac to clean all the dirt and debris from inside.
  • how to clean your he dryer
This tool right here is awesome!  I not only use it for the dryer, but for my fridge as well.  Check out how to clean your fridge coils over on our blog too.
  • how to clean your he dryer
I don't even know how this machine was working!  Well, now its not working.....so.
  • how to clean your he dryer
Much better now! Be sure to visit our blog at the link down below to see ALL the steps and also find out how my honey fixed our dryer for free! He's pretty awesome if I do say so myself! :)

Thanks for looking!

Suggested materials for this project:

• Shop Vac  (Lowes)
  • Lent tool  (Amazon)
  • Clorox Wipes  (Walmart)
DeeDee

Ask a Question
    • Maria Lang Hoewischer
      Maria Lang Hoewischer Urbana, OH

WOW this made my heart sink when I read this.... My sister did not know to do this, Who Would??? ( In our opinion) Because of the lint build up in her gas dryer Electralux. It burnt down her 5000 sq ft dream home. YES! All was gone in about 30 min! They were home in a barn and watched it all unfold. She had just started a load to dry and went outside to see her husband in the barn. Thank God no one was hurt!!! There are class action law suits out there about this problem and her insurance co. is fighting with them now.

• DeeDee
          DeeDee Decatur, TX

Oh my goodness Maria! I'm so sorry! We had no idea we were supposed to clean this area of our dryer until it broke down recently and we did the research to fix it. I knew about keeping the vent line clean, but no the insides! I hope all is well with your sister now.

• B. Enne
          B. Enne Canada

Thanks for the share. I use my brush all the time. I have a wooden one, but I prefer my wire one which is longer and more flexible. The brush is softer too. It works well for cleaning out my furnace too, especially around the fan where I can't reach.