How to Get the Dry Brush Paint Effect

23K Views

I had seen this effect paint effect on a few projects lately on Pinterest but I could not find a tutorial on how to do it. So I experimented a bit and this is how I did mine.

Time: 2 HoursCost: $10Difficulty: Easy

I wanted to try a small project first as a test run so this wood served my purpose. At the time of doing this project I am not 100% sure what this project will be this is showing the paint effect. I was thinking candlesticks, Stand for solar lights so if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

The stand was to big so I cut it in half so I would have two smaller pieces.

I started by using Annie Sloan Black chalk paint. You do not need to use a primer or do any prep work when using this paint. I painted 2 coats using a paint brush going in all directions. This method seems to have a better look at the end. I tried to add the next layer of white paint over the black but I ended up with a dirty white colour which did not look good.

So I started again with the black but this time I sealed the black with a water based Polyurethane. I still had some areas where the polyurethane seems to wipe the chalk paint off and you could see the wood colour coming through. I was hoping the white would cover all those areas.

Once the clear polyurethane was dry I use Annie Sloan White chalk paint to paint the bottom section about half way up. For the second coat I used very little paint and dragged the brush very lightly up over the black area. I give the effect that you are running out of paint.

I sealed it all in with a final coat of clear water based polyurethane so it would be able to be handled without damaging the paint.

I cut some circles out of scrap wood to make a stand for the candles, but I did not like them. I really loved the dry brush effect looks and I am not even sure if it has a name so I welcome any info. And if you can think of a use for these I would love to hear your ideas.

All my materials were recycled and the paint I had at home, so your cost will depend on what materials you have.

To see more great projects http://uniquecreationsbyanita.com/how-to-make-a-kids-craft-table/

and http://uniquecreationsbyanita.com/how-to-make-a-zebra-bench-seat/

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of July 16, 2018 11:54 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Anita Moulpied Holland