What to do with the wall of shelves?

DeeEmy Flint | Semigloss DesignCindy Hagemann
+8

We have a wood wall with shallow shelves. We'll be placing our home for sale in the spring so I'm trying to get things staged as much as possible. This picture is from the previous listing but it pretty much looks the same.

• Rynn
    Rynn

I realize this is wood, and some will "boo" my suggestion. But, because it is shallow, i would paint it to match the wall color. Stage it as an art gallery with some taller pictures sitting on the shelves , then maybe hang a few smaller items centered in the spaces. I think a mix of heights would be interesting to the eye. Best wishes!

• I'm not sure if you want to keep the wood, but one idea is to paint them and line the back with wallpaper.

• Kal21880830
    Kal21880830

Does the wall serve a purpose? What is on the other side of the wall? I ask because if it serves no purpose and can be taken down I would do that to open up that long narrow hallway, or I would turn it into a short wall to open the hallway up. Then I would paint the short wall the same color as the other walls. Buyers have trouble seeing through clutter to visualize living there themselves. Just an idea.

• Megan Reid
      Megan Reid

It doesn't necessarily serve a purpose, but if you take it down and then turn the corner, you'll end up seeing the back and side of the oven in the kitchen, which I don't know how I'd feel about that. I do like that idea and we'll definitely need to consider it. Thanks!

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

I would paint it to match the wall so it looks more "built-in" therefore, more "custom". Then I would place just a few items in the spaces (don't fill all of them). DON'T use family photos - when you stage a home for sale, potential buyers like to imagine their things in this house, not yours.

• Rymea
    Rymea

I would paint it white to match the rest of the trim

• Cindy Hagemann
    Cindy Hagemann

Since you are staging to sell - remove all family photos, use books, glass vases and a few other items on shelves. Keep it simple and no clutter. Here is an example:

• I agree with painting it white. Then stage it with neutral decor like books and plants. No family pictures. Don't fill the space. Leave a lot of breathing room to make it look more spacious.

• Dee
    Dee
    9 minutes ago

I would paint to match the wall but I would also put in contact paper or wallpaper in the back for contrast.