Asked on Aug 12, 2018

Can I use the wrong side of my tile?

William1CraftyMom!Leslie
+7

I have tile I want to use up & the color of the back side (&the texture) is perfect. The "right" side is shiny & slippery...will it stick down using regular adhesive? OR, what should I use? Thanks!

• Erin
    Erin

I'm going to say probably no. The unfinished side is intended to absorb adhesive. The top side, not so much.

Having said that, it depends what you want to use the tile for. I wouldn’t try it for a floor but it might be ok on a wall where it won’t get wet. Or if you’re making a piece of art from it.

What’s your plan?

William

I assume it's vinyl tile. No tile absorbs adhesive. use a green kitchen scrubby to dull the shiny side. The use tile adhesive to glue it.

• Leslie
    Leslie

Dar a picture would have been useful and as Erin said a description of your project. That being said. I do not see why you can't use the wrong side up. I know on some fabrics I like the wrong side better than the right. There are sealers for porous tile. I would bring one to HD or Lowes and tell them what you want to do and ask about sealers and the correct mortar to use :) Good luck.

• 1CraftyMom!
    1CraftyMom!

Sand the shiny side first. Make certain to seal your finished tile job with a good quality sealer in your desired sheen ( from mat to gloss, anything in between)

• Ruby
      Ruby

Thank you- good idea... I do want to use it on the floor & so want it as NON-slippery as possible. It actually seems to have some kind of finish on the back even. When I put water on it it didn't soak in like crazy.

I was hoping for a "go-ahead"!!!! Not much to lost except my time & trouble.

Thanks!

William

AHA! Yes sand the shiny side to dull it and roughen the surface. Use regular thinset to set the tile. Even though it is fired to set the surface glaze the back is not glazed. I agree with sealing it to play it safe. Definitely seal the grout.