Functional Laundry Room Facelift

When we first purchased our new home I was absolutely thrilled about the second-floor laundry room. After living here for a while, however, I was not as thrilled about the dark, dingy space that housed my washer and dryer. We replaced the original washer and dryer at the holidays, which inspired me to makeover the entire room. Now I'm happy to do a load or two in this cheery space!
Before: Dark, dingy and not very functional. The super-high shelf wasn't very practical for 5'3" me!
After: I painted the entire room, including the ceiling, in a sunny orange shade (Afterglow by Sherwin Williams). Since this room sees no natural light, I thought a bright color would help liven up the space!
I tore out the metal shelf and replaced it with a custom cabinet/shelving unit. I found the center cabinet at Habitat for Humanity Restore for $20! What a steal!
I worked with a local carpenter to design the shelving around the cabinet. Soft storage baskets from Target keep laundry supplies organized. Vinyl reusable wall decals from Wallpops.com add flair behind the shelves. See details on the decals here: http://embracemyspace.com/2014/03/27/laundry-room-updates-and-some-wallpops/
Using an old canvas print that had no real spot in my home, I created custom laundry-themed artwork using the wall paint and some painters' tape. I love breathing new life into pieces that I've fallen out of love with over time.
The best thing about the art is that it is functional! The canvas is mounted to a wooden bracket and folds down from the wall to serve as a table for folding laundry! See details on my hinged laundry table here: http://embracemyspace.com/2014/03/07/art-that-works-hinged-laundry-folding-table/
Tall, narrow laundry bags hang from the wall, keeping my laundry organized and up off of the floor. See more about how I decided to capitalize on the vertical real estate in my laundry room here: http://embracemyspace.com/2014/04/11/laundry-room-vertical-real-estate/

Sara Bates

• Rita

Well you know we generally don't see or think of a laundry room as being pretty, but the ones I have seen lately are just awesome. How could we have ignored the smallest room in the house for so long just because it was called the "laundry room". I think I'll clean up the worst looking room in the house real soon. I love the work that you have acomplished in your laundry.

• Linda Palmore Mullins

Where do you hang clothes? I always have a rod with hangers for hanging clothes, and also to hang some things to finish drying .