Functional Laundry Room Facelift

When we first purchased our new home I was absolutely thrilled about the second-floor laundry room. After living here for a while, however, I was not as thrilled about the dark, dingy space that housed my washer and dryer. We replaced the original washer and dryer at the holidays, which inspired me to makeover the entire room. Now I'm happy to do a load or two in this cheery space!
Before: Dark, dingy and not very functional. The super-high shelf wasn't very practical for 5'3" me!
After: I painted the entire room, including the ceiling, in a sunny orange shade (Afterglow by Sherwin Williams). Since this room sees no natural light, I thought a bright color would help liven up the space!
I tore out the metal shelf and replaced it with a custom cabinet/shelving unit. I found the center cabinet at Habitat for Humanity Restore for $20! What a steal!
I worked with a local carpenter to design the shelving around the cabinet. Soft storage baskets from Target keep laundry supplies organized. Vinyl reusable wall decals from Wallpops.com add flair behind the shelves. See details on the decals here: http://embracemyspace.com/2014/03/27/laundry-room-updates-and-some-wallpops/
Using an old canvas print that had no real spot in my home, I created custom laundry-themed artwork using the wall paint and some painters' tape. I love breathing new life into pieces that I've fallen out of love with over time.
The best thing about the art is that it is functional! The canvas is mounted to a wooden bracket and folds down from the wall to serve as a table for folding laundry! See details on my hinged laundry table here: http://embracemyspace.com/2014/03/07/art-that-works-hinged-laundry-folding-table/
Tall, narrow laundry bags hang from the wall, keeping my laundry organized and up off of the floor. See more about how I decided to capitalize on the vertical real estate in my laundry room here: http://embracemyspace.com/2014/04/11/laundry-room-vertical-real-estate/

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Sara Bates

• Linda Palmore Mullins
    Linda Palmore Mullins

Where do you hang clothes? I always have a rod with hangers for hanging clothes, and also to hang some things to finish drying .

• Bobbi Convery
    Bobbi Convery

Your cheery laundry room and excellent storage ideas make me want to do it too! I will have to improvise, but certainly want to make a better workspace!