How to clean grease, so I can apply wallpaper ?

+20

Just bought a hm nd the old tenants did not clean behind the stove, I would like to put wall paper, hoe can I get the grease off the wall so I can apply the wall paper?

q how to clean grease so i can apply wallpaper
  • TSP will fix that right up!

• William William on Sep 06, 2018

TSP, trisodium phosphate or Krud Cutter.

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Sep 06, 2018

You can scrub it down with a mix of hot water, dish liquid and baking soda. Wipe over it with pure vinegar to remove any soap residue.

• 16999903 16999903 on Sep 07, 2018

Great suggestions above. I would add to use warm water and the scrub side of the sponge.

• Nalani Haruo Nalani Haruo on Sep 07, 2018

Grease lightening spray

• Karla Rox Karla Rox on Sep 07, 2018

Best ever...use oxyclean laundry spray and a white eraser cleaning sponge...the combination will remove ANYTHING and leave the original surface unharmed.

• Sal3170064 Sal3170064 on Sep 07, 2018

We have a product called sugar soap, for preparing a wall before wallpapering.

• Sandra Wilks Sandra Wilks on Sep 07, 2018

Fantastic 5-1 with Bleach cleaned the grease in my new home after scraping with paint scraper.

• Jenny DuCharme Gillen Jenny DuCharme Gillen on Sep 07, 2018

I would use TSP. Make sure to wear rubber gloves because it can irritate your skin.

• Marilee H Marilee H on Sep 07, 2018

TSP for sure, but try to find the real thing, with the phosphate actually in it. Or try full strength Simple Green - this cleans almost anything.

• Mindy D. Mindy D. on Sep 07, 2018

TSP !

• Debra S Debra S on Sep 07, 2018

I also say TSP. NOTHING is quite like it for prepping walls AND even furniture for painting. Go to hardware stores, paint stores..

• Mandy Luther Weller Mandy Luther Weller on Sep 07, 2018

Blue Dawn and hot water!!! Run back over with just hot water to remove soap residue ❤️

• Ellen Ellen on Sep 07, 2018

Why would you want to put wallpaper behind a stove? Will you cover it up with glass or plexiglass for protection?

• Mary Mary on Sep 07, 2018

Try Dirtex, it works better than TSP. If you can’t find it in stores Amazon sells it.

• Deborah Perrin Deborah Perrin on Sep 07, 2018

LA's Totally Awesome! This stuff cleans everything! Spray on, let sit 10 minutes, wipe off. Repeat if really necessary.

How do you plan on protecting wallpaper behind a stove?

• Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Sep 07, 2018

If you look closely at the picture, there appears to be a grasscloth like wallpaper underneath that has been painted over. You can see a seam and the texture and what looks like a few repairs under the paint. Is it a good idea to wallpaper over that and hope for a good outcome when the grease is gone? Will the new wallpaper stay on for long?

• Oliva Oliva on Sep 07, 2018

Ditch the wallpaper. Better to tile or paint with semi gloss behind a stove,as these options are much easier to keep clean.

• Pat Freeman Pat Freeman on Sep 09, 2018

Magic eraser.

• Darlene Holien Darlene Holien on Sep 11, 2018

Super Clean is wonderful for grease on anything including grease on clothing! I get it at Walmart..Menads..its in a blue container either gallon or spray bottle. Got grease out of my husbands white jacket after nothing else would budge it. Google it, if you need to see who handles it. It's not expensive and it's for degreaser on any auto parts. It does not bleach anything, but spray it it straight (use gloves) or added to water when wiping stove, fridge or greasy spots on anything! .

• Gerit Gerit on Sep 16, 2018

krud cutter. get it at wal-mart , lowes, and i think home depot. don't need gloves. use micro fiber cloth. spray on, let sit a minute and wipe. if its been on there awhile you might have to redo. i use this on every thing in the kitchen