Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Mirror, Mirror on the Window? Daylight Privacy Mirror Film Tutorial

$25

**Update** I had some questions regarding using this on double pane windows so after a lot of research. I went to www.buydecorativefilm.com and found a quote that said it was safe for dual paned glass. There were a lot of reviews on Amazon and I couldn't find one that said it was a problem for their double pane windows but if in doubt, contact a professional window tint installer. **
When we bought this
mirror mirror on the window window mirror film tutorial
Here are my garage windows as they look when you come up the sidewalk to my front door. They are super close to the side walk and anyone can look in them. On the right, is a set of wood blinds that we bought on clearance. Wrong color, wrong size in both directions and I just have not been happy with the look. I never even installed the other set of blinds on the other window. Every single time I walked by, it was a constant reminder of how much I hated it yet I hadn't decided on what to do instead. Until now.
I ordered this mirror window film from Amazon. BDF S05 Window Film (36in X 12ft) It was about $24. This would do my two garage windows without a problem. **After I put it on the bottom half, I decided to wait on the top half. There were a couple of windows on my porch that I decided to do instead of the top of the garage windows.**
My windows were very cobwebby.  I used a soft broom to brush away all the webs.
I used glass cleaner to clean the glass. You don't want any flecks of anything on the glass or it will mess with your film.
OK, this is where I failed to read the directions. Per the directions, cut one inch larger than the glass in both directions. I cut my piece to the exact measurements. OOPS  I dodged a bullet and it worked out any way.
When you open your box the squeegee and utility knife are inside the roll of mirror film. You will also need a spray bottle with 16 oz of water and about 6 drops of liquid soap.
I used my rotary cutter because I am more familiar with it than a utility knife.
This is kind of hard to see but there is a backing on the film that you remove and then it is adhesive backed. To remove the backing, starting at a corner, put two pieces of tape with adhesive sides facing in but not touching each other. Pull each piece of tape in different directions. Apply soapy spray mixture to this sticky back and spray mixture to window as well.
I started in one corner and applied the film to the soapy window. Since I was working alone, I didn't follow the directions. With this corner in the window I slowly removed the rest of the backing and pressed it to the window.
Before the squeegee, it looked like this.
Half squeegeed and half not squeegeed. What a difference? Right?
I am super happy with how it came out.

On the left is what is on the other side of the window. On the right, you would never know.
Satisfying squeegee action and don’t stress the bubble, I did see it and it was taken care of.
I could not be happier with the end results. Much, MUCH better... and for around $25... this works well for us.

• Laura
    Yesterday

Aren’t you worried that birds will fly into them?

• Stacy Davis
      19 hours ago

I live on a large farm with birds everywhere. I have 5 large feeders filled with black oil sunflower seeds and I see birds visit those frequently. I have never seen any of them fly into the window, ever. There is a tree in front of one of these windows and my porch is right next to one of these windows. On my porch not 5 feet from the window, a bird built a nest on some crates by my front door. When I went to get rid of the nest, it had eggs in it. These cuties were born not far from these windows, I would guess just a few feet away. I am not saying that birds don’t ever fly into other people’s windows but I haven’t had any birds do that to my windows. Maybe having a tree in front of the window helps...

• Barb
    Yesterday

Does it still work if it's dark outside and there are lights on inside?

• Tracey
      15 minutes ago

I have used a type of this a few times. At night you if there are lights on inside and dark outside, ftom outside its like looking through sheer curtains. But, if you have a light outside it isn't viewable at all. We used them in living room windows which were close to the walkway and front door. There was a light at the door, so as long as it was on, you couldn't see in at all.

Also, used in my kitchen window. The sun hit the windows and put high heat inside...this film stopped the sun glare & it felt cooler all summer!

• Stuart A Warren
    An hour ago

Does it keep the sun out ?

• Geraldine Edwards

Do you realize that if the lights are on inside you can see right through as if it wasn’t there? Don’t use on bedrooms or bathrooms expecting privacy when the inside light is on. The mirror effect is when the light is reflected back to its source.

• K

Yes, this is true whether or not there is a film in the window. Whenever it's brighter inside than outside, you can see in.

The film is an added layer of privacy, but not 100% protection. It is not opaque, so caution is still advised, but it will help with cutting down on summer heat coming in through the windows.

• Wendy

Thanks for the update, Stacy!! The video is so mesmerizing!