It was time to do something about these windows. We live at the top of a busy neighborhood and my bay windows offer a front row seat to everything going on inside my house. No more eye contact with the joggers, dog walkers and school kids.
Do you have windows or doors in your home that you want to make a little more private? In my home office, I have two glass doors that lead into our backyard - the only problem? They also lead my neighbors eyes in as well. As a renter, I can't buy new doors and don't want to invest in heavy duty window coverings, so I came up with a solution. Using budget-friendly contact paper, I created a simple stick-on frosted glass method that is tasteful and completely removable upon move-out! Be sure to check out other DIY home office projects! We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
My hot glue gun is probably my most used craft tool. It's always my go to when I need to secure something fast and for long. However, i've never looked at it to be my main medium. I decided to try my hand at hot glue placemats. This is by far my easiest DIY ever!
We’ve been talking about building a pallet tiki bar for a LONG time. We had this perfect empty spot in our back yard under a palm tree that was just screaming for a bar! My husband dubbed it the TreeKee bar instead of the Tiki Bar since we planned to use the tree as part of the actual bar. Confused? Don’t be. Keep reading to find out how we did it.Step 1 – Measure and map out the area…We played around with a layout and decided we were going to use 2 pallets in the front to make the actual bar area. Each pallet is 4 ft wide which would make it 8 ft across. We felt this would comfortably seat 4 bar stools. We knew we'd need at least 6 posts to hold up the pallets and the roof. As for the roof we planned to put one on, but the tree branches would remain on the roof as part of the ‘tiki look’.
I found a set of old Duncan Phyfe style chairs at a thrift shop. They were scratched, stained, flat, and musty. They must've been stored in a basement for quite a long time because the smell was potent. After some TLC, I was able to give these chairs a new life!
The last 2 times we've been to the beach near my house, we've found a TON of washed up sand dollars. All different sizes. Some as small as a nickel and some much larger. However, the little ones are so delicate that lots of them broke before we got them home. I hated the thought of throwing them all away so I searched the internet for ideas on what to do with broken shells and saw some cute ideas that inspired me. Here is what I came up with...
So some of you may have seen my post in the early summer where I created a solar light using a flower collar. I love creating different things for my solar light edison bulbs from season to season. I was inspired once again after I finished my recent post making pumpkins out of metal strapping to create my solar light using the same material. It appears owls are very popular in fall decor, they seem to be on everything so I took my inspiration from that.
I was fortunate enough to have my current house given to me by my parents when they built a new home to downsize and so my mother wouldn’t have to climb stairs after living with near crippling back issues for over 30 years. My house was built in 1990 and the original owners used a LOT of wallpaper and loud colors. Instead of dealing with removing wallpaper, my parents painted over most of it which worked, but now that I’m trying to update everything I’m painstakingly removing it and painting fresh. My laundry room was a very bright, sunny yellow and had a “wedding ring” quilt patterned wallpaper border around the top under the crown molding. It also had those white wire shelves above the washer and dryer and I’ve never been a huge fan of those so I knew something had to be done. Since my laundry room is just inside from my garage entrance, we had one of those racks with coat hooks to hang our jackets on as we came in the door. I had a small three-shelf bookcase that I converted into cubbies to hold our shoes. This 6’x6’ space was not cutting it as a “mudroom“ so I decided to convert an empty space in my laundry room into a locker area.
Today I’m going to show you how my husband built a window bench with storage for our master bedroom.I’ve had this project burning in the back of my mind for a long time. Initially, I really wanted a window bench with drawers, but we had an incident, you can read more about it on my blog (https://avantimorocha.com) so I decided to ditch the drawers and simply make a bench with a trunk instead.