DIY Sliding Barn Doors

$200
1 Day

You can build custom barn doors for as little as $200. These doors will completely transform the look of any room or your entire home.
Choosing Your Material
I prefer Select Pine from Home Depot, it is straight, with few knots, and the clean grain gives it a nice finished look. You can use certainly use the pine from your local lumberyard.

Trick to a straight piece of wood - “sight” wood by looking straight down the board, this way you can see if it’s warped.
Measure and Cut
I have a quick tutorial on my blog showing how to measure your space for the right size of barn door.
#3 Create Your Door
Arrange your boards, add a bead of glue to the edge, and clamp together. Making sure to wipe up any excess glue. Once it is dry, glue down two rails at the top (for hardware) and one at the base. Set with 1 ¼” nails to keep everything secure. Finally, measure and cut your cross brace, glue, and set.
Sand and Dust and Stain
With your sandpaper, smooth the face and edges. Making sure to sand any areas where glue may still be.

After you clean the dust, a stain pad will make coverage quick. Keep a rag handy and wear gloves to protect your skin. Once it’s dry, 2-4 hours, flip and stain the other side.

Trick to an even finish - keep a lot of stain on your pad and work in sections.
Install
Installing the door first makes it easier to apply the top coat to both sides. You can also better see where the hardware will look best. - And Done -

👇👇👇👇
For more details on this project, please watch the video here.

If you like this project please subscribe to my emails to see all my current projects. Follow me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture where I share even more of my tips and advice. 

Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Jenni Ingram