Organic Gardening - How to Deter Slugs and Snails With Eggshells

Are you tired of visiting your gardening in the morning only to see that other little critters have been up all night feasting on your plants? I love plants like my hostas and vegetables and hate to see them riddled with holes from snails and slugs.
I have something in common with slugs...we both love hostas and vegetable gardens. But, there is something they hate that I love - eggs. They slink away from eggs shells as soon as they feel the sharp edges!
Snails and slugs hate anything that's sharp or rough, so you can save your eggshells and use them underneath your plants to deter them! It really works. Coffee grounds and several other things works as well, and are mentioned in the article link.
Read how we do it here! http://mymerrymessylife.com/2014/05/diy-natural-linen-spray.html
Crush the shells to make them easier to spread.
Snails and slugs come out at night and feast like kings on our plants!
Spread the shells underneath the plant to deter slugs and snail.s
Organic Gardening: How to Deter Slugs and Snails with Eggshells

Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
My Merry Messy Life

• Joyce Johnson
    Joyce Johnson

I have potted plants along my walkway to the dock. I live in SC on the marsh. I have crabs (looks like mini stone crabs) that love to feast on the leaves and flowers. Also this year I have grasshoppers. How do I get rid of them?

• Stephen
      Stephen

I hope someone has an answer for you. Your question is an interesting one.

• Sowmya
    Sowmya

crushed eggs are good for slugs... but doesn't eggs attract rats?

• Chris Ann
      Chris Ann

Save the egg shells left over from cooking. Wash the shells before you crush them. Crushed small they should not attract critters.

• Gabrielle Falk
    Gabrielle Falk

I know that snails, slugs etc., don't like to crawl across anything that is 'gritty'. Or so I've been told. The idea of putting out bowls of beer in the garden, that will attract the slugs/snails, so that they drown (they are attracted to the smell of the beer) seems to me horribly cruel. So. Instead of using egg-shells, what about using some sort of gritty product that you may be able to get from your local nursery/hardware. Sand? Would that be useful - not beach sand, but sand that is used in construction works. That won't harm your soil or garden. I know that ants don't like talcum powder - don't think that they worry about the fragrance - I've sprinkled talc in and around the kitchen bench tops, and they really don't like it as it clings to their little feet. But certainly does not kill them. Actually I don't like to kill ants, unless they are eating you out of house and home, as I regard them as nature's vacuum cleaners.

• Ellis
    Ellis

I don't like the messy look of egg shells. I use Sluggo, which is a product approved for organic gardening and safe for food crops right up to the time of harvesting. Safe for around your pets, too.

• Karen
    Karen

I have used crushed egg shells in my garden and find that they attract night marauders who dig to get all of them.