My Merry Messy Life
My Merry Messy Life
  • Atlanta, GA

Organic Gardening - How to Deter Slugs and Snails With Eggshells

Are you tired of visiting your gardening in the morning only to see that other little critters have been up all night feasting on your plants? I love plants like my hostas and vegetables and hate to see them riddled with holes from snails and slugs.
I have something in common with slugs...we both love hostas and vegetable gardens. But, there is something they hate that I love - eggs. They slink away from eggs shells as soon as they feel the sharp edges!
Snails and slugs hate anything that's sharp or rough, so you can save your eggshells and use them underneath your plants to deter them! It really works. Coffee grounds and several other things works as well, and are mentioned in the article link.
Read how we do it here! http://mymerrymessylife.com/2014/05/diy-natural-linen-spray.html
organic gardening how to deter slugs and snails with eggshells, gardening, pest control
Crush the shells to make them easier to spread.
Snails and slugs come out at night and feast like kings on our plants!
Spread the shells underneath the plant to deter slugs and snail.s
Organic Gardening: How to Deter Slugs and Snails with Eggshells

My Merry Messy Life

• Kara

Wonder do you clean and rinse out the egg shells?

• I put mine in an open rectangle shaped container, unwashed, unrinced, unbaked. When the container is full I crush them down with the bottom of a juice glass. That gives me more room to keep adding. They dry up with no odor whatsoever. When the container is full and I can't add any more I put them in a zip lock bag and save for spring planting. I sprinkle all around my new plantings and don't have a problem with slugs. I have squirrels everywhere but they never bother with the eggshells. After a while the shells decompose into the soil for nutrients.

• Debbie Hoefer

Bestwa

• Joyce Johnson

I have potted plants along my walkway to the dock. I live in SC on the marsh. I have crabs (looks like mini stone crabs) that love to feast on the leaves and flowers. Also this year I have grasshoppers. How do I get rid of them?

• Stephen

I hope someone has an answer for you. Your question is an interesting one.

• Shirley

Safe way to clean an oven

• Becky

It has done nothing but improve it. It adds nitrogen, phosphorus, and magnesium which make my plants thrive. I think it is a win, win in my gardening. Give it a try. You'll be surprised by the results.