Replace frame on door?


Dummy here fell off the ladder and the ladder fell through the sliding glass door and shattered the window. That part is being replaced however the ladder took a gouge out of the trim next to the glass- any suggestions on how to fix the hole on the trim.


  5 answers
  • Mogie Mogie on Oct 16, 2018

    Without seeing the damage here are my best ideas.

    1) find a thin gauge aluminum channel that fits over the broken frame, deep enough to cover the gouge, spray paint it to match, and silicone it down over the length of the frame. Or,

    2) use automotive body filler, plane and sand to blend, than spray prime and paint the entire lower frame.

    Good luck with whatever you decide to try!

  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Oct 16, 2018

    It might be easier just to replace that piece of trim

    • Charlene Miller Charlene Miller on Oct 16, 2018

      The doors are good ones but 25 years old. How do you find trim that goes with the door? I could paint to match!!!

  • Tonya Tonya on Oct 16, 2018

    Charlene, hope you are ok!

    Could you possibly fill the broken part of the wood with wood filler and or Bondo and repaint?

    • Charlene Miller Charlene Miller on Oct 16, 2018

      A few stitches but very lucky. The ladder and I came down app. 20 ft. The door has a piece of trim on the inside if I could find the trim! The door is 25 years old but in it's time was a very expensive door.

      Thanks for your help

  • Gk Gk on Oct 16, 2018

    Hope you are ok! If the gouge isn't very big you could fill it with wood filler, sand it smooth and repaint it. If it's a huge gouge then you might look into replacing it.

    • Charlene Miller Charlene Miller on Oct 16, 2018

      Doing well considering I took out a door. I don't want to replace the door. It was an expensive door in its day and is still in great shape (well was). There is a piece of trim that goes around the glass. If I could find how to replace that trim. Not a clue where to look.

      Thanks for your advice that's probably what I'll do.



  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 06, 2021


    Sorry to hear of your drama, Hope you are Ok! If the Trim is timber, use a filler, then when dry paint it to match existing. If it is Plastic, Use a Plastic filler and smooth over area. If it is a large gouge, It might be worth wetting it to try and get (if Timber) to expand. Leave a small piece of sponge or cotton wool in the gouge in the hope it does the trick. On the other hand, you could try a steamer. Best of luck

Your comment...