Make A Beautiful Mantel From A Piece Of A Dresser

$20

A couple of months ago, I found a mantel at a thrift store and put it in our living room after I gave it a makeover. It has been my favorite piece in our home ever since. After I posted that project, I received many messages from people who wanted the same thing, but were frustrated about the chances of finding a mantel like I did at a thrift store. The messages kept coming, so I knew we had to come up with a way to create a faux mantel easily and without spending a lot of money to do it.

Whenever I find the tops of old dressers or buffets, I pick them up. The last one we found came at the right time. It was when I was receiving all of the messages about wanting a faux mantel and this one was so big and ornate that I thought it could be turned into a beautiful faux mantel. We recorded how we made this mantel from start to finish and you can see that video here:

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Once we had the faux mantel together, it was time to start painting it. I knew that once I painted this mantel, it would really come to life. I chose the color {aff}   “Drop Cloth” Dixie Belle Paint.

Once the paint dried, I used my {aff}   orbital sander to rough up the edges so the beautiful detail of the dresser piece would show.

I couldn’t be happier with this faux mantel. I love it so much that I tried to convince my family that we could leave it up in our back porch and not have the TV in there anymore. Even though they all thought it looked great, they weren’t excited about giving up movie night and game days in the porch. 

• Paint  (dixie belle paint)
  • Sander  (amazon)
  • Nail gun  (home depot)

Lindsay Eidahl

• Dana

In the many years I have searched online for inspirational decorating ideas, I have never once made a comment. However, when I watched your video for the wooden Christmas tree (pottery barn style) and caught glimpses of your other Christmas decor in the house I had to respond. I absolutley love your decorating style. Your tutorial was easy to follow. Haven’t done a project in a while, but I can’t wait to try to make this tree. I’m a 50-something female who loves diy decorating, especially wood projects. Whenever my hubby hears the saw going, he cringes and thinks I’m going to lose a finger or two :). Thank you for the inspiration. Look forward to viewing the rest of your projects!! Dana from Cape Cod