Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

IKEA Hack - Coat Storage / Shoe Shelf

$40

This project was one of those with twists and turns and now that I am finished with my coat rack shoe shelf I realized that this could also be used as kitchen storage or bathroom storage with towels and bath stuff on the shelves. Can you see it? Where would you use it? So, the biggest clutter problem in our house is the large quantity of shoes that get strewn all over our points of entry. I decided to take an Ikea shelf and try to make it into something farmhouse style to hold shoes, mittens, bags, basically anything and everything. Tall order for a simple shelf.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1
gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I think my chicken was telling me the color was all wrong.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I tried a few different colors but they didn’t seem to be the look I was going for.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I bought some pine tongue and groove planking to give it a farmhouse look.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I bought two packages of this 8 foot long planking.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I like to use chalk instead of a pencil to make my cut marks.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I cut them stacks at a time.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I used a mouse sander to knock off the rough edges.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I went up the back starting with the top shoe shelf. I nailed them to the back supports two nails on each side. I stayed away from the edges so the wood wouldn’t split and I used wood glue.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I covered the front supports with long pieces of the planking. I had to put small pieces of wood to shim it out because of the bolts. You could actually stop at this point and it would be pretty functional.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

But, I planked up each side. This is where a power miter box really helps. Each side had 19 individual pieces.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

Here is a closeup of my white wash technique. You can find more details on that in my farmhouse box tutorial.

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

Honestly for $40, it has a brand new look! I love it. That side view though...

gorm shelf ikea hack part 1

I am thinking of going either ombré with the shelves or painting each slat a different color... maybe in a beach-like way. But what colors? Any ideas? Grays, blues... What would you do? Would you spray paint the gold basket black? I am also thinking of adding the shelf to the top and keeping mittens in the galvanized tub.

• Turk Edwards

What is used for shelf supports (rails)? Do you split one or more of the pine stock?

• Jean

Little tension rod in the top to hang umbrellas, scarves? Great job, thought! jh

• Mellissa
    40 minutes ago

I am so glad I could be a bright spot in your day!! And, thanks for the encouragement. Maybe someday I will get the courage to try. I would love to be able to build what I need, instead of spending hours on line looking for a poor substitute. If you make a new one for yourself, keep me in mind for the old one. Shipping would probably be a little prohibitive. Perhaps you should publish your plans and sell them on Etsy? I bet there are others who would like to tackle a project like that. It's not much different from sewing from a pattern - just bigger tools! Good luck!

• Chris

This is super cute! I would probably start from scratch though instead of an IKEA hack.

• Mellissa
    8 hours ago

I want one! Make me one, too, please. I'm ashamed to say I am scared of power tools, with visions of missing fingers. I have been looking at something similar to purchase, but it doesn't have all the extra features yours does. Great job!

• Stacy Davis
      3 hours ago

You are so sweet! I was having a tough day and your comment made me smile and feel so good. I really do love this shoe shelf. I have some ideas to make it even better with some Walmart baskets. I was scared of power tools too but as long as you have safety rules in place and always follow them, you’ll be fine! I think most accidents come from being complacent and cutting corners. Have a good one! 😊