IKEA Hack - Coat Storage / Shoe Shelf

$40

This project was one of those with twists and turns and now that I am finished with my coat rack shoe shelf I realized that this could also be used as kitchen storage or bathroom storage with towels and bath stuff on the shelves. Can you see it? Where would you use it? So, the biggest clutter problem in our house is the large quantity of shoes that get strewn all over our points of entry. I decided to take an Ikea shelf and try to make it into something farmhouse style to hold shoes, mittens, bags, basically anything and everything. Tall order for a simple shelf.

I think my chicken was telling me the color was all wrong.

I tried a few different colors but they didn’t seem to be the look I was going for.

I bought some pine tongue and groove planking to give it a farmhouse look.

I bought two packages of this 8 foot long planking.

I like to use chalk instead of a pencil to make my cut marks.

I cut them stacks at a time.

I used a mouse sander to knock off the rough edges.

I went up the back starting with the top shoe shelf. I nailed them to the back supports two nails on each side. I stayed away from the edges so the wood wouldn’t split and I used wood glue.

I covered the front supports with long pieces of the planking. I had to put small pieces of wood to shim it out because of the bolts. You could actually stop at this point and it would be pretty functional.

But, I planked up each side. This is where a power miter box really helps. Each side had 19 individual pieces.

Here is a closeup of my white wash technique. You can find more details on that in my farmhouse box tutorial.

Honestly for $40, it has a brand new look! I love it. That side view though...

I am thinking of going either ombré with the shelves or painting each slat a different color... maybe in a beach-like way. But what colors? Any ideas? Grays, blues... What would you do? Would you spray paint the gold basket black? I am also thinking of adding the shelf to the top and keeping mittens in the galvanized tub.

• Mellissa

I am so glad I could be a bright spot in your day!! And, thanks for the encouragement. Maybe someday I will get the courage to try. I would love to be able to build what I need, instead of spending hours on line looking for a poor substitute. If you make a new one for yourself, keep me in mind for the old one. Shipping would probably be a little prohibitive. Perhaps you should publish your plans and sell them on Etsy? I bet there are others who would like to tackle a project like that. It's not much different from sewing from a pattern - just bigger tools! Good luck!

• Patricia Donia

beautiful I love it...