Quilt or comforter does not fit properly

Julies1949Erin Jacobs WalshShelby @ The Weathered Barn Studio
+19

I have a king sized bed that has a thick mattress. My problem is that quilts or comforters for a king sized bed are not long enough on the sides. My sheets hang out and I hate that look. On a queen sized bed, I always buy the king sized covers and it gives the bed a beautiful look.
So my question is what can I use to add approximately 3-6 inches on the sides and bottom of a quilt or comforter?
  • Olga C
    Olga C

lace or a solid sheet that matches a color in the quilt you prefer, cut into strips and add to the side and foot of the quilt!

• Patricia Brining
    Patricia Brining

Buy a bed ruffle that coordinates and sew it on!

• Darla DeVos'Rodriguez
    Darla DeVos'Rodriguez

Try to use a CA King,, will be wider and you can always pull the top part down more,, you won't see it because your pillows will be there,, good luck!!

• Dee
      Dee

@Darla DeVos'Rodriguez Tried the CA king, still too short on the sides

• Dee
    Dee

Thanks Olga: Do not partially want lace on a king sized bed. Tried that a long time ago and it was just too frilly. Maybe I can get some contrasting fabric and cut into strips. I thought of ribbon, but that would not last through a wash.

• Shirley Brunton
    Shirley Brunton

i have same problem i sometimes buy two and cut middle hem it use as a matching blanket then attach trimmed off quit and sew it to the sides it looks like it was bought that way or i have also used ruffled bed skirt attached to quit

• Dee
      Dee

Thanks I really do, not like to sew much, so using 2 would mean cutting in thirds to make it look right. And then I think it would need piping, and I do not know how to do that.

• Donna Tracey
    Donna Tracey

I have the same trouble with my queen but I pull it down on th ed side that faces the door so it looks like it's big enough

• I had solved it by using a large light cotton or blend blanket the color of the comforter to hide the sheets.

• Dee
    Dee

I couldn't find a nice coordinating blanket or dust ruffle to match. If I go with fabric for the quilt, do I used quilted fabric or just coordinating strips? Would I need to put some kind of batting between the strips?

• @Dee ...I know , ISNT it annoying to pay $$$ for something that ISNT big enough ??? !!! I found TWO duvet covers that are really large for a king size, and I put my comforter in the duvet cover...and its now long enough on the sides...they make the DUVET covers larger, to fit the comforter INSIDE, with extra to go around ! Go figure !!!

• Dee
      Dee

With a deep mattress even the duvet covers are too short.

• Erin Jacobs Walsh
    Erin Jacobs Walsh

Why don’t bedding companies just make a larger sized quilt to fit the deep mattresses?

• Dee
      Dee

The only place I have found that makes reasonably priced quilts at larger King sizes is Steinmart. But you have to be careful and look at the sizes.

For queen sized bed I always use a king sized quilt. If you have a deep mattress they just do not fit.

• Julies1949
    Julies1949

. Many king comforters measure 96 inches wide. GIven that the mattress is 76" wide, that only leaves 10 "of overhang on each side, not nearly enough for today's deep mattresses.

Bedspreads and coverlets are bigger. A King size bedspread, tends to be much larger than a comforter or duvet cover, as it's designed to hang down nearly to the floor. A bedspread may be 128 inches wide and 124 inches long. A coverlet averages 108 inches wide.

The Company Store sells oversized comforters that are 116" wide . That gives you 20" overhang on each side. They also sell oversized duvet covers to fit.