DIY Farmhouse Light Fixture

A lightbulb went off (literally) when I saw this wire basket at a recent barn sale. It was the perfect shape to become a farmhouse style light fixture for my kitchen window.
light fixture farmhouse diy, electrical, lighting
With the right kit, this became a really simple project.
You'll need a wire basket. Make sure it has a hole in the bottom so that the wiring can get through.
Then head to your local big box store and get one of these - a mini pendant kit. We tried to do it with just a socket kit and some oversized washers. Don't bother. This is the way to go.
The kit comes with everything you need - a pre-wired socket, a bracket to hold the bulb in place, the ceiling plate and supports. You'll also need one of these industrial looking bulbs, officially known as an Edison single wire bulb - this gives it a vintage look.
Follow the instructions - but it's so simple. Hang it like a normal fixture. And there you go - an easy wire basket light fixture in less than half an hour.
Heather (New House New Home)

• Norma Janeway

What wattage of bulb did you use? The kits I've seen only use low wattage bulbs and I have a dark place to light.

• Christy Roppel

What if the hole (where the light fixture goes/holds the cage in place) is larger than the fixture? How could you hold it in place?

• Nancy Wilson

I recently purchased four plastic work light cages which I am going to paint black and install in my modern stainless steel bathroom fixture. I'm hoping to use the retro bulbs but it will depend on how they fit into the fixture. I looked for wire cages but they were fairly costly. I'll post the process soon.
  • They sound perfect!