Meagan {The Charming Farmer}
Meagan {The Charming Farmer}
  • Otis Orchards, WA

Nautical School Desk Makeover

$45

This full size school desk was full of potential when I saw it advertised through a local online yard sale advertised for cheap ($15). Originally, I had the idea of a nautical theme but questioned myself and then ended up going back to my original idea (after wasting paint and time with another not so pretty theme). A white desk with a two tone blue paint scheme and a full size anchor painting on the seat along with a sisal rope trim around the legs make this the perfect first mate for any kid!
school desk nautical makeover, home decor, painted furniture
You can't go wrong with a nautical theme!
My $15 online yard sale find started off looking very much like the Catholic school desk that it had been up until that point.
I found it much easier to work with the desk while it was disassembled. I didn't change or paint the hardware - it was old and brassy!
I painted the entire desk using Valspar's Allen & Roth "Paparazzi" white color - it is fantastic and I have used it throughout my house also. Then, I taped off stripes using Frogtape Delicate and painted alternating colored stripes (the colors are below).
I used 2 different colors of blue for the stripes - these Valspar color samples are perfect for projects and I have a billion of them in my garage.
An anchor painting on the seat seemed to be the perfect detail. This is a wooden template for the barn wood anchors that I make and it was the exact size that I needed - use what you have!
The last detail came from the sisal rope trim that I added to the legs. It was best to staple in the back and use a glue gun as I wrapped the rope tight. For a more clear tutorial - visit my blog!
Check out the other details on the blog including the theme that I messed up royally!

Meagan {The Charming Farmer}