Asked on Jan 11, 2019

How do I get rid of English Ivy?

OlivaLynn SorrellNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

Eradicating Ivy growthAsk “How do I I’d my garden/yard of the creepy English ivy?”

• Dig it out or kill it then dig it out. There are many commercial products, but they can contaminate the soil and you won't be able to plant anything for a period of time. If you use vinegar and lots of it, you will be able to plant sooner.

• Lynn Sorrell

cut back and remove then as it begins to emerge spray with Round-Up. Ivy of any kind is extremely difficult to be rid of

• Oliva

Hi, Louise,

If you have a large area of ivy, you are most likely facing a multi year project. The roots can be 6' or longer, and very deep. Chop off and dig up what you can, but wear gloves, because somecpeople suffer serious allegic reactions, over time, from handling the vines.

Any chemicals you use to kill it will most likely kill surrounding vegetation.