Repurposing a Repurposed Piece

$5

I love to repurpose!

It's simply thrilling to take something and turn it into something new...but it's even more thrilling to repurpose a piece that's already been repurposed once!

Here's how I used an old window frame from ReStore twice.

repurposing a repurposed piece

This is what I started with: a window frame I repurposed into a picture display for a bridal shower I helped host.

After the shower, I wanted to find a way to use it again because it was fun to dress up once, and after putting the work into it, I didn't want it to just get stuck away in a corner.

repurposing a repurposed piece

I started by rummaging around for something that would make a good backing, and found this piece of thin wood that I had pulled from the back of a broken mirror I had picked up on one of my thrifting trips.

repurposing a repurposed piece

Next, I cut it to fit the two sections within the back of the window frame.

repurposing a repurposed piece

After checking for a snug fit, I was ready to get creative and dress it up!

repurposing a repurposed piece

I used some printed scrapbooking papers that would coordinate pretty well with the sunflowers that I left in place, and glued them to the backing sections. I also used a thin strip of tan card stock to mount between each section for a gentle divider.

They provided the backing for the new photographs I planned to attach.

repurposing a repurposed piece

Finally, I printed up some photos of my kids, glued one to each section of the frames I had made, and attached a few strips of raffia to each side and across the top.

I love having pictures of my kids around, but this was a double score since I was able to use a repurposed window - again!

To Work With My Hands

• Dianne Chandler Grubbs

I like it. You came up with a really good idea. Good job.

• To Work With My Hands

Thank you, Dianne. ReStore always has lots of great window frames for nearly nothing! It’s a great place to shop for these kinds of projects.