Hand Painted China Cabinet Makeover

$60

Well, you’re either going to love this next makeover or think I’ve lost my mind. Who knows, I may have! Wait until you see this china cabinet makeover!!! Dixie Belle Paint Company announced a friendly challenge-try to get six colors on one piece of furniture. So it was time for this traditional, classic style painter to get creative!

hand painted china cabinet makeover

I received this china cabinet for free and decided it would perfect for the challenge.

What-No Blue?
What-No Blue?

The colors I had to use.

hand painted china cabinet makeover

The red paint reminded me of poppies so I did a quick google search for a “poppy painting” and found one that pretty much had all 6 colors right in the painting. I took a risk and thought I could at least try to transfer the painting to the china cabinet. 

Not knowing at all if this would turn out, and being okay with it if it didn’t, I decided to just have fun. It was just paint after all.

hand painted china cabinet makeover

I would let each layer dry, walk away for a bit and come back for more. It was just too fun. Finally I got to where I liked it – a little crazy, but good. A china cabinet sure to brighten up anyone’s dining room for sure! 

Seeded glass + colorful books = 😍
Seeded glass + colorful books = 😍

I had a piece of seeded glass cut at a local glass shop, it’s just the prettiest finishing touch! The inside of the cabinet was painted in Sand Bar; I wanted to keep that very neutral since the outside of the china cabinet has plenty of color. This would be a fun piece to display dishes, or perhaps to use as a bookshelf? 

hand painted china cabinet makeover

I distressed all the edges to give it even more interest and texture. I love the way it turned out! You can see the whole project here.

If you like this project please subscribe to my emails. Follow me on Facebook @RootsandWingsFurniture where I share painting tips and advice. 

Jenni Ingram

• Helen

Did you free hand the poppy’s

• Catbit

What is your background wall made of? Do you have a tutorial on your site for it?

TIA