How to Make Stenciled Fabric Hoop Art

$5

Dress up your wall with this simple technique for making stenciled fabric hoop art. Grab an embroidery hoop, scrap fabric and your favorite cutting machine to make custom wall art.

This is one of 3 hoops that hangs in my daughter's room, a fun and colorful way to update her decor without spending a lot.

how to make stenciled fabric hoop art

You will need

• Embroidery Hoop
  • Fabric
  • Freezer Paper
  • Silhouette or Cricut and accessories
  • Scissors
  • Iron
  • Paint
  • Sponge brush
how to make stenciled fabric hoop art

Design and cut words on freezer paper, be sure to put the freezer paper shiny side down on your cutting mat.

how to make stenciled fabric hoop art

Peel the freezer paper off your mat and lay it on your fabric. Using an iron on medium heat iron the freezer paper to the fabric. It will stick temporarily and makes the perfect stencil.

Use a sponge brush and paint to fill in the stencil. A little bit of paint goes a long way. Start small then add a second coat if needed.

how to make stenciled fabric hoop art

Slowly peel off the stencil while the paint is still wet. Using freezer paper won't leave any residue behind on the fabric.

how to make stenciled fabric hoop art

Add the fabric, all dressed up with paint, to your embroidery hoop and trim the edges.

how to make stenciled fabric hoop art

Now that you know the drill, repeat this process a few times for a colorful and custom gallery wall.

This wall is in my daughter's room, you can find more fun and kid friendly wall decor in the link below.

Sarah Vanderkooy

• Emmybel
    5 hours ago

Cute! I’ve been using up leftover drop cloth for something similar. Also, instead of stenciling, I’ve been freehanding and cutting the pattern on cereal boxes and stamping on the fabric. I made a few peeps for easter in different colors. 🤣

• Judith
    31 minutes ago

This is fantastic, I'll try this! Thanks