How to Make Stenciled Fabric Hoop Art

$5

Dress up your wall with this simple technique for making stenciled fabric hoop art. Grab an embroidery hoop, scrap fabric and your favorite cutting machine to make custom wall art.

This is one of 3 hoops that hangs in my daughter's room, a fun and colorful way to update her decor without spending a lot.

You will need

• Embroidery Hoop
  • Fabric
  • Freezer Paper
  • Silhouette or Cricut and accessories
  • Scissors
  • Iron
  • Paint
  • Sponge brush

Design and cut words on freezer paper, be sure to put the freezer paper shiny side down on your cutting mat.

Peel the freezer paper off your mat and lay it on your fabric. Using an iron on medium heat iron the freezer paper to the fabric. It will stick temporarily and makes the perfect stencil.

Use a sponge brush and paint to fill in the stencil. A little bit of paint goes a long way. Start small then add a second coat if needed.

Slowly peel off the stencil while the paint is still wet. Using freezer paper won't leave any residue behind on the fabric.

Add the fabric, all dressed up with paint, to your embroidery hoop and trim the edges.

Now that you know the drill, repeat this process a few times for a colorful and custom gallery wall.

This wall is in my daughter's room, you can find more fun and kid friendly wall decor in the link below.

Sarah Vanderkooy

• Birgit

Great idea! One question though. Can you reuse the stencil just one time or is it reusable? Would it "stick" to the fabric again? Does the paint/moisture wrinkle the paper too much?

• Birgit

It does help, thank you! I was just trying to figure out if there is a way to reuse a stencil if it's a particular intricate design and a lot of work to cut out. Off to buy freezer paper now! :-)

• Tara

Looks cute but what do you cut the stencil out with? I tried to cut matting with an exacto knife before with so-so results but what is a cricket?

I'd like to try this

• Cynthia

Can you do this technique to make aprons or t-shirts??? Is the material wasable???

• Cheryl

I love your tip on the freezer paper, I am definitely going to try that. I don’t have a cuting system but am pretty handy with an Xacto knife so Thanks!

• Marilyn

Going to try this