DIY Bifold Barn Door - Transform a Closet Door for $15

$15.00

In this DIY Bifold Barn Door tutorial I will show how you can add a farmhouse touch to a closet door using a piece of 1/4 inch plywood costing around $15.

Here is how the linen closet looked for over two years. Yes I am embarrassed to say that it had no closet door for that long.

diy bifold barn door

Then we added a 6 panel hollow core bifold door.

diy bifold barn door

Then I got to work on the new barn door by covering the bifold door with planks of 1/4" plywood. I laid the planks to get an idea of sizing.

diy bifold barn door

Then I glued and nailed the planks to the bifold door. Remember do not apply the planks over the fold.

diy bifold barn door

For the second layer I added top, bottom and middle horizontal planks, gluing and nailing like in the first step. I also added the two vertical side planks. 

Next I added wood filler, sanded it and stained it.

diy bifold barn door

I applied two coats of Sea Salt paint over the stain. The reason for the stain is that once areas of the paint are sanded off then you will see the stain peeking through underneath like it would appear from years of warn away paint. Also don't forget to apply the paint to where the door folds as well. I recommend doing this before sanding. I unfortunately did this after sanding and I had to touch up some spots.

diy bifold barn door

I sanded off several areas and the edges to give it a worn/rustic look. Once I was satisfied I applied a sealer. I added the door handle. Then we placed the new barn door back to cover the gaping hole. I am so in love with it!

diy bifold barn door
diy bifold barn door

diy bifold barn door

Here is a side by side to really see the before and after.

diy bifold barn door

What a difference!

I hope this has helped you come up with some ideas of how you can transform a bifold closet or pantry door.

If you like the farmhouse look then you will love how I added this Farmhouse Cabinet Trim for $15 to the end of my cabinets. Here is another wood project you can make, this Modern Farmhouse Wood Tray.

Happy Building,

Tiffany

Tiffany from Dream Design DIY