Asked on Feb 13, 2019

How do I create a labeling system for boxes in my garage?

AnnaBrooke Cribbs- Cribbs StyleRedcatcec
+9

I was inspired by a DIYer showing how to build shelves 8ftx 8ft in the garage. We will be building them in a couple of days.In an attempt to organize I have boxes and totes full of various things to keep and sell. Things like Antiques, flowers, clothes, dishes. Etc. The contents of theboxes will be pretty organized but I'd like to come up with smart labeling system and box layout to put my hands on something I need right away!Help! Thanks!Donna, aka Maw D

• Mogie

Just label the boxes with their contents. XMAS for Christmas stuff, etc.

• I write down the contents of the box and tape it to the inside of the lid of the box. You can always go to a copy store and make copies or just tape to the outside of your box.

• MawD

Good idea. I'm sure I'll have multiple categories in some boxes.

Thank you!

• Lorraine

Cardboard boxes, plastic bin style? If bins get them in colors clothes go in blue , dishes in white.... cardboard cover with ( at least the front facing outwards) with contact paper, get large size mailing labels and place in front and write what’s in box on the labels. Place similar itemed boxes on the same shelf.

• MawD

For now I have both cardboard and blue totes. I hope to go to all totes. I love the color code idea. When I first got the idea I picked up diff color starburst. Then I couldnt decide what to do.

Thank you!

• Redcatcec

Hi Maw D,

A suggestion would be to get a label maker and label each box with the general contents as you have listed in your question. It would be way too busy to be specific on the outside of the totes and boxes. For that you could have an erasable marker system on the end of the shelf or a clipboard stating specifics for each container such as: summer clothes, winter clothes, candles, vases...

• Brooke Cribbs- Cribbs Style

I had the opaque Rubbermaid totes and I used a square piece of Duct tape on the outside and used a label maker to mark what is inside. when I needed the tote for something else I simply pull the label off leaving the duct tape. Duct tape is the only thing I found that could withstand the elements. I tried to grab a quick picture on my way out the door.

• Anna

There are QR code labels that you can scan with you smartphone. I read an ad about one brand where you scan the label and then speak into your phone the contents of the box, then when you need that item you ask it where is my "object". I am sorry that I have lost the ad and can't give more info, but maybe someone can provide us with the info. Also they were economical. I did see QR code labels on Amazon.

• MawD

Wow! I like the idea of someone telling me what box to find an item in. 😊

It would have to be economical. I'll look it up. Thanks!!

• Anna

H! I found the info on the QR labeling. It is called DuckPack&Track Moving and Storage Labeling System. $15 at Walmart.com You will use your smartphone to SPEAK or type what is in the container. Then open the app and say it's name to find what box it's in. I don't even need it, but sounds like fun to me, and the price is right!