Project Koi Pond

$200

Recently moved and have an existing pond that I need to relocate. I have some Koi that I’ve raised from babies and not ready to part with, I also enjoy watching and listening to the water flow in the evening after a hard days work.

project koi pond

Since my close friend had access to a backhoe, I had him dig out the deeper part of the pond. You can do by hand just takes longer. I then began to dig out the rest of the pond. I wanted a shallow area for placing plants, etc.

project koi pond

I placed the liner and filled with water. I used bricks to temporarily hold the liner in place. I took another Hometalkers advice and went inside to view the pond from a window to be sure I was happy with placement.

project koi pond

Placed flat rock around liner an prepared it for fish, plants, water filters. I recommend at least a 20mil liner, I started with one of lesser quality and quickly regretted and ordered a replacement.

project koi pond

Added some plants and a brick border. Installed water filters and added water Lillie’s and a few floating hyacinth. Added the Koi and a little blue dye to help with algae control.

project koi pond

I added some solar lights so that I could enjoy in the evening.

I am happy with the result, I lost only a few fish that flopped out while getting the new liner in. Can be customized to fit your space, I ended up with about a 1500 gallon pond. I wanted the middle deep enough for the Koi to cool off in hot summer weather.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

The Koi seem happy in their new pond

• Terry Thomas

How do you protect your Koi in the winter months? Does the pond freeze over?

• Yvette Chidester Scott

As long as there is a hole in the ice for gases to escape, they will hibernate and winter over just fine. (Assuming the pond doesn't completely freeze.) Having a deeper section usually keeps this from happening. I put a trough heater in mine during the winter and it keeps a good hole melted. Pond heaters are more expensive and a trough heater works just as well.

• Erin

How do you keep the hunters out of your pond?

• Barb C

Love little ponds and water features.

How does blue dye help with algae control? Thanks.

• CATHY

Love your pond

• Eyda hernandez

Fantastic Idea and so easy to personalize with different themes! I will definitely try it at my new home!! Thank you for sharing!!