Project Koi Pond

$200

Recently moved and have an existing pond that I need to relocate. I have some Koi that I’ve raised from babies and not ready to part with, I also enjoy watching and listening to the water flow in the evening after a hard days work.

Since my close friend had access to a backhoe, I had him dig out the deeper part of the pond. You can do by hand just takes longer. I then began to dig out the rest of the pond. I wanted a shallow area for placing plants, etc.

I placed the liner and filled with water. I used bricks to temporarily hold the liner in place. I took another Hometalkers advice and went inside to view the pond from a window to be sure I was happy with placement.

Placed flat rock around liner an prepared it for fish, plants, water filters. I recommend at least a 20mil liner, I started with one of lesser quality and quickly regretted and ordered a replacement.

Added some plants and a brick border. Installed water filters and added water Lillie’s and a few floating hyacinth. Added the Koi and a little blue dye to help with algae control.

I added some solar lights so that I could enjoy in the evening.

I am happy with the result, I lost only a few fish that flopped out while getting the new liner in. Can be customized to fit your space, I ended up with about a 1500 gallon pond. I wanted the middle deep enough for the Koi to cool off in hot summer weather.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

The Koi seem happy in their new pond

30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows

• Terry Thomas

How do you protect your Koi in the winter months? Does the pond freeze over?

• Yvette Chidester Scott

As long as there is a hole in the ice for gases to escape, they will hibernate and winter over just fine. (Assuming the pond doesn't completely freeze.) Having a deeper section usually keeps this from happening. I put a trough heater in mine during the winter and it keeps a good hole melted. Pond heaters are more expensive and a trough heater works just as well.

• Erin

How do you keep the hunters out of your pond?

• Barb C

Love little ponds and water features.

How does blue dye help with algae control? Thanks.

• Eyda hernandez

Fantastic Idea and so easy to personalize with different themes! I will definitely try it at my new home!! Thank you for sharing!!

• Tina

You may want to research "water hyacinth. It's an invasive species and not health and environmental friendly.