An Easy Way to Upcycle an Old Window Into Art

$20

I love to upcycle and reuse anything that I can find. This project is the perfect way to reuse an old window that you might have laying around and all you need is a little paint and some stencils.

an easy way to upcycle an old window into art

If you are looking to make some inexpensive art with a Farmhouse flair, this project is perfect. Grab an old window, some grey and white paint and some stencils that fit into the glass section of your window.

Start by painting your window white. I like to leave some of the wood showing through to give the paint an aged, worn feel.

Next, figure out where you would like your stencils and move the slightly up and to the left of where you would like your finished word.

Since the stencils are going on glass, I like to outline and highlight them so that they will pop against the back drop.

Fill/paint your stencils using a dark colour. I used Fusion Mineral Paint in Ash. It is a nice dark grey.

Once your darker colour is dry, move the stencil slightly to the right and down and repeat the stencil using a lighter colour. I used Fusion Mineral Paint in Casement.

By moving the stencils, you will get a nice multidimensional look to your words without having to highlight each letter by hand.

You can see another project using this method here...

Keep in mind when you are layering your stencils that if your letting is different sizes, such as above, you will need to do it in two steps. The smaller lettering will have a smaller shift to the stencil.

Once your lettering is done, they will pop off of the background with the faux depth you created with the paint.

This is such an easy way to make a piece of art for your Farmhouse themed room and is so inexpensive.

To see more pictures and the full original Recreated Designs post, follow the link below...

To fins other Farmhouse inspired projects and upcycled finds, visit the Recreated Designs blog here.

Recreated Designs

• Gayla

I have been wanting to try this but didn't know where to start or how to get the look I was hoping for. Thank you so much for the help

• Margie Hood

wow..those old windows are so hard to find unless you buy them..seems everyone but me can find them just laying around....yours even has the hardware..AMAZING..it looks great