You want a fancy French daybed? Well, lets make one!

155K Views
One of the greatest things about having a crazy imagination and living as the only grown up in a house is being able to do anything I want. It is true. Our house is like a scratch book of an artist who may or may not be just a bit crazy but we love it. One of my obsessions is French daybeds. Who doesn't love them? I have been wanting one for so long but why must they be so expensive? I guess I could save up money and buy myself one...oh you know in about ten years but where is the fun in that? So I decided to make myself one. It all started with my fifty dollars green French bed frame.
  • headboard upcycle daybed french thrifted
The moment I saw this bed, I knew it had so much potentials. I have been obsessing over these bendable Efex appliques for awhile now and this project was perfect for them. I added the appliques with contact cement and painted the frame in a mix of Chalk Paint® in Old White and Paris Grey. I think I imagined myself waking up every morning with a crown and a glass of champagne? A girl can dream, right? So my little green bed frame became all fancy and turned into this beauty. I think Iggy Azalea was thinking about this bed when she wrote Fancy.
I wish our love story ended there but it didn't. I was told it was a queen size bed frame but in truth, it was a full size. I cried...like real tears. So I am keeping the headboard for my bed because I just love it so much. I decided to turn the foot board into a French daybed. For months now I have been taking an upholstery class with the most amazing teacher. The man can do anything. He said he will help me build anything if I promise him I won't paint any antique furniture. Hmmm...we will see about that. So the two of us started working away. Here is our beauty in every step of her make over. Get ready for lots of pictures.
Ok, I may have cried again when we cut the foot board in half.
This part has so many possibilities...from the shape to size. We decided to keep it smaller than 60 inches to make my life easier when I upholster it.
The construction part done. Next is upholstery.
I chose a gray velvet fabric for its durability and its ability to hide lots of dirty little hand and paw prints.
I got two separate cushions and wrap them with a layer of Dacron batting and sew a cushion cover. Are you ready for the final reveal????
I am in love...like seriously in love. The details make this piece extra special. It is so amazing to have a vision in my head then to make it happen. It truly is the best feeling in the whole wide world. This nine foot tall oil painting seems like it was always meant to be with this daybed, don't you think?
Someone recently asked me what makes a house a home. Isn't a home where we collect things that define us? A place that shows who we are as people and where we have been? Where we surround ourselves with love? A home is a novel that keeps on writing and a story is only as interesting as people who live it. I like to think that our home tells a story that is pretty epic...and when you walk in, you might wonder to yourself...yeah those chicks...they got some interesting stories to tell.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 17, 2018 10:05 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Victoria Kirton

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!