Pet
Pet
  • Yucaipa, CA
Asked on Apr 12, 2019

Is it possible to cut down Ikea Billy Bookcase without destroying it?

KathySethBetsy
+2

I have two that are too tall and would like to cut them down and make them a foot lower. Any suggestions on if this can be done and what is the best way to do it?

• Take it apart. Measure from top how much to cut off. Then saw off your desired amount. Reassemble.

• Dwp7470b

I agree with Naomie Moore. Never cut off the Bottom of anything. If you do you may disrupt the Balance.

Hi Pet: Depending on your space, what I have done in the past with book cases that were too tall, was to put them on their sides and stack them. Of course, I don't have books in them, but fabric for sewing:)

If you are going to cut them, then I would use an electric or battery powered saw and use a blade with fine teeth. Measure twice and cut once, is the old adage:) Measure and draw a line where you want to cut, usually above a shelf, about 1/2 inch, and use a fence (something to put on the piece the length of your project and then run the saw along this so that you cut straight) and you should be o.k. You may not have to take it apart, depending on how big it is. Be sure to cut on the same side of the line you have drawn. Then, sand and paint the area you have cut. If the piece is big, then take it apart, make your marks and cut. It should be screwed together. Good luck

• Seth

Pet,

That bookcase is held together with dowels and cam lock/nut fasteners. Once you decide on the height you want, you are going to have to modify the existing dowel holes and add holes to be able to secure the top piece of the bookcase.

• Kathy

Here is a link to Ikeahackers.net. There are several examples of shortening a Billy bookcase.

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2017/12/hackers-help-shortening-billy-bookcases.html