Wheel Cover Fence Flowers

I was looking for a fun garden project to do with my elderly mom over the weekend. I saw these wheel covers in a thrift store but didn't buy them. Later that evening, I thought of something fun to do with them so I went back the next morning to buy them. There were 2 different shapes of wheel covers so I cut some of the edges so that we would end up with varying shapes of flowers. We spray painted them and my mom painted the stems and leaves on the fence. Instant flower garden!
I found these wheel covers at a thrift store for $1 each. My boyfriend cut the outer rim off in some spots so that each one would end up with a different shape even if the original shape was the same. He used an "Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool" to make the cuts.
We spray painted them bright colors. Then painted the center and the dots using the same paint we used on the stems and leaves. I just LOVE bright colors in the garden!
Once we figured out the final position of the flowers, my mom painted stems and leaves. It was a great project to do with her, as she's not as active in the garden as when she was younger and this was something she could do while sitting. It was a nice afternoon with my mom!
We made seven flowers total. This area is a side patio that we don't frequently use so we don't have any potted plants there and it looked boring, until now! This will brighten up the area until we get a chance to redesign this rarely used side patio.
Now that this project is done, I wish more of the shapes would have ended up like the purple one, but, they are all different so that's okay, too. I pass this area on the way to my vegetable garden and it's so nice to look at these flowers instead of an old, boring fence! Thank you for letting me share my project.

30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home

• Jean Smooth

Follow up question for you. The fence boards look like they had walnut stain. I live opposite of you in Daytona. Do you know what kind of wood the boards are? I just really LOVE the fence coloring with those awesome flowers!

• Dawn Karpinsky

How did he cut the edges down?

• Mary Johnson

I`m wondering what is the stain on the fence?? It`s beautiful!!!!

• Ginger the farm gal

So that's what happened to my wheel cover...lol...just kidding had to buy one from the junk yard for $20, to match, always feel for the person that lose them tho, often see them on the side of the road, and hope they find them when they go looking for it. Cute idea, well done.
  • Mary Johnson

what color is the wood treatment