DIY Board and Batten Wall | Entryway and Hallway Update

$200
1 Week

This month, as part of a DIY challenge I'm involved in, I decided to update my entryway and hallway in my home. I love the look of board and batten on walls, so I decided my entryway and hallway would be the perfect place to add it. Using pine lumber from Home Depot, I was able to update my walls for less than $200.

post

As you can see in the pic below, my hallway and entryway were pretty dark and drab, especially with the tan paint on the walls.

diy board and batten wall entryway and hallway update

Here are the abbreviated instructions for how I added my board and batten to my walls. For a full tutorial, please visit my blog at the link below this post.

First, I cut and attached the bottom horizontal pine boards along the length of the walls. I attached using a nail gun and brad nails.

Next, I cut and attached the vertical 1x3 boards. These should be evenly spaced along the wall.

Now, cut and attach the horizontal pine boards above the vertical 1x3 boards.

Next, add more 1x3 vertical boards. These should line up with the lower vertical 1x3 boards.

Now time for the upper horizontal pine board above the top 1x3 vertical boards.

Next, I added the "shelf" board. (It's not actually wide enough to be a shelf, but it overhangs the edge of the board and batten like a shelf would).

And, lastly, attach the cove molding directly underneath the top "shelf" board.

Once all the boards were attached, I filled all holes and gaps. Once dry, I sanded any rough spots on the boards. I then painted the wall above the board and batten in Behr Creek Bend, and painted the board and batten with Behr Ultra White paint.

Here are some pics of the finished project. I love how much brighter my hallway looks now!

Pinspired to DIY

• Mary Yost

How high up did you go with board & batten. How high is the ceiling? I have 8’ ceilings and am concerned about proportion.

• Pinspired to DIY

Hi Mary, I have normal 8' ceilings as well, and in fact part of the hallway where I added the board and batten is only 7'. (For some reason they built the house with a lowered ceiling just in the hallway and kitchen...) But the board and batten goes up about 56" on the wall total. I like the look of the taller board and batten so I wanted it to go up the wall more than halfway. :-)

• Marcia Serrenho

Are your walls made of wood? Mine are made of bricks, so I don't think I can nail boards like these to the wall... How should I do it? Do you have any idea? I love the work you've done! Thank you!

• Y'vonne Delano

Could you tell me, what the space between each vertical 1x3 is.