Asked on Apr 28, 2019

How do I make a homemade stencil brush?

FlipturnSuellen HintzToni Z
+9

I can’t find my foamy little brushes so what else can I use? Kitchen sponge? I want it to look good still

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

How small of a brush size are you seeking? Please tell us a little more about what your project is, so that we can try to answer your question.

• Michelle Bellin
      Michelle Bellin

Oh I’m just stenciling small areas sorry should have been more clear. I used a brush and dabbed & that was not good. The leaves are all mushy on the right

• Vickymcreations
    Vickymcreations

You could use make up sponges

• Mr ATC
    Mr ATC

This video helps me to create mine so maybe this could help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_KjKmwy9TA

• Gathered In The Kitchen
    Gathered In The Kitchen

kitchen sponge, Q-tip, cotton balls...all may work as well!

• Toni Z
    Toni Z

I have tried a kitchen sponge but found the holes are much larger and I didn't like the outcome. My next attempt was to slightly dampen a Q-tip, smooth the fibers with clean fingers ( no lotion), and allow to THOROUGHLY dry before use. I haven't paid for a sponge brush since! Note: All cotton top swabs are not created equal, the extra pennies for name brand are well worth it.

• Suellen Hintz
    Suellen Hintz

In the past I've used one of those little cheap bristle brushes. I wrap a rubber band around the bristles and then trim the bristles. Easy to have a brush for each color for a project. Also, if you apply too much color you can put the stencil back in place and correct the color using the wall paint...just lightly tap until you are pleased with the result.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

I have not done stencilling myself, but I am wondering if empty bingo dauber bottle tips might work ?

I saw these tips and holder on Amazon.