Drop Your Pants Here- Laundry Sign

$10

While creating our laundry room I had a tall narrow space that needed "something". I decided to make a sign pointing downward to where the dirty laundry bin would be.

I could've painted something directly on the wall but ran across a very cool old wooden ironing board at our resale shop for $10.

Check out your local junk shops, antique stores, craigslist, or great grandma's attic to find one!

My craft room usually has everything I need and this time was no different. I'll list everything at the end but I bet most crafters have everything they need except perhaps the ironing board.

I gave the board a quick sanding so the paint would adhere well, then wiped it down.

I have a Cricut stencil making machine that allows me to easily make my own stencils and gives me a good looking result. You can also buy stencils at the crafts stores (JoAnn's, Michaels, Hobby Lobby) or even custom made on Etsy.

I'm not a good freehand painter but if YOU are go ahead and paint without a stencil. I envy you!

I like to use a dollop of acrylic paint on the scrap of backing paper from the contact paper and dab it onto the stencil lightly, letting it dry before the next layer till I get the coverage I want. I use makeup wedges because they are cheap and I can cut them to the size I need for dabbing.

For this project I used white adhesive contact paper (like for kitchen shelves) because it's cheap and my design wasn't small or intricate.

It worked fine although as you can see it picked up some of my wood grain lol. Maybe I should've sanded a little more but I think it's just because it's "old wood".

We chose to leave the legs on and wire them so it wouldn't open while on the wall. We hammered a nail into the wall and hung it with the wire loop.

I love the end result and that it is actually pointing downward towards the bench and rolling laundry bins we made where YES, we DROP OUR PANTS!

OPTIONAL: I didn't spray mine and it's held up fine but you might want to protect the paint with a thin layer of clear coat spray paint to protect it. I don't have little kids anymore so it's not in danger of being touched.

All supplies and tools used listed below!

3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen