Joan
Joan
  • Pell City, AL
Asked on Jun 20, 2019

How to clean old wall pictures?

EmilyBetsyCynthia H
+9

• Tinyshoes

Joan....First remove the pictures if possible. Sometimes they have been under the glass so long they have stuck to it. In this case I have never attempted to remove the picture but you can, very gently wipe the outside glass with windex cleaning it, then clean the frame with a damp rag and a little Dawn. If the frame is dull, faded, damaged, it can be painted with a spray paint or use a brush. I have sprayed all materials, metal, wood, ceramic, plastic and it turns out fine. Good luck!

• Mona Blake

Are they under glass?

• Mona Blake

I used my vacuum on mine. I used the dusting tool. I have a picture of my mom when she was 17. She is now 88. The vacuum worked on hers. I then put it under glass.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Need more info please

• Emily

Do you mean a mural?

• Joan

No, these are about 45 years old and not under glass.

• Cynthia H

I dust them and then clean the glass with a microfiber cloth.

Hi Joan: If you can remove the pictures from the frame without the picture sticking to the frame, remove them and then wipe them very gently with a microfiber cloth. If you are going to clean them while still in the frame, spray the cloth and not the glass, as the cleaner will go between the glass and frame and dampen and perhaps ruin the pictures. Same with the frame, spray the wax on the cloth and then wipe. Always spray your cloth and not the article, as you will have a glob of wax or cleaner in one spot and it doesn't really spread that well. And, clean the backs of the pictures, too. If there is no writing on the backs saying who is in the picture, and you know, it's a good idea to do that now:) Good luck

• Emily

I recently counted all the art we have hanging on our walls and it came to 141 pieces! On bulletin boards (not counted) i have lots of photographs, magazine pages etc. I just dust them with a feather duster lightly. Oil paintings are never covered with glass so they too are dusted lightly with a feather duster. Glass covered pieces are cleaned with windex and dried with old dish towel. I am 85, my husband is an artist and this is how we have cleaned our art work for over 50 years.