4th of July Garland - No Sew

$5

Sometimes you just need to have a picnic on the back patio and sometimes that picnic needs a theme! Actually this little set up was a tour I was part of on Instagram. You can take the tour HERE.

I'm going to show you how to make a little patriotic garland. Its really simple and no sewing! You should have time to whip one up before the 4th!

4th of july garland no sew

You will need the following to recreate my garland:

Red and white striped fabric

Small star fabric

Light weight muslin fabric

Scissors

Jute twine

Hot glue gun and glue

*Ignore the strips of fabric, I decided not to use those.

4th of july garland no sew

I made a template for each flag using a piece of kraft card stock. It's 5" long, 3-1/2" wide. I found the "center" at 1-3/4" and then measured up 1-1/2" for my points.

4th of july garland no sew

On the wrong side of your striped fabric, trace your flags. I made five (5) for my garland.

Trace them all at once making sure your stripes are going in the right direction.

4th of july garland no sew

Now cut them out using a nice pair of fabric scissors for good crisp lines.

4th of july garland no sew

Now using the star fabric, cut out (5) 2" x 2" squares.

4th of july garland no sew

Attach the stars to the stripes using your hot glue gun on the low setting. It doesn't take a lot of glue, just enough to bond the fabric together.

4th of july garland no sew

Now to make a little pocket for the twine to run through. Take your muslin fabric and cut (5) pieces that measure 5" wide by 1-3/4" tall.

4th of july garland no sew

Using your hot glue gun on low, glue just the top and bottom of the muslin to the flag. Leave sides open so you can thread your twine through for hanging.

4th of july garland no sew

After your glue is cooled and you make sure everything is secure, thread a piece of twine through each flag. I cut my twine at about 4 foot long. You can always make more flags and make your twine longer if you need to.

I tied a small knot at each end of the twine to prevent it from unraveling.

4th of july garland no sew

I think its adorable! It was so simple to make that I have even more ideas swirling around in my head to make more in the future.

4th of july garland no sew
4th of july garland no sew

After our picnic was over, I moved it inside of the house to the front of our fireplace screen. It looks cute there too!

DeeDee

• Jane

If I wanted a reversible flag (so it could be seen from both sides) couldn’t I just glue another flag on the back with a pocket on the top?

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg
      30 minutes ago

That’s exactly what I was thinking in the first place to negate making a “pocket” or if someone wanted to keep it one sided, cut the fabric 1/2” longer and fold over to make a hanging pocket or just fold over and glue directly to the twine or rope or whatever.

• Carol Z

This is so darn cute and easy! Glue gun compatible! Love it and thank you for sharing!

• DeeDee

Hi Carol! Thank you, it was very easy to assemble! :)

• Em

Cute and easy. I do agree with the direction of the flags though. So many people don't know there is flag etiquette.