Asked on Jun 25, 2019

How do I get rid of mint?

Nancy TurnerKelli L. MilliganNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+7

I had one mint plant a few years ago.

Now I've got a ton of them.

They're taking over my garden, and strangling the roots of my plants!

I can't pull them out, as they have roots, like they're on steroids,

and I'm not strong enough to pull them.

How can I inexpensively, get rid of these plants,

without harming my other plants, especially my roses?

PLEASE help me ... I'm at my wits ends!

Thank you.

• Amanda
    Amanda

Mint is a nightmare. I keep digging it out as it pops up. You want to dig deep enough to see the roots. Mint will grow on any part of the root left. It is a underground runner. Keep up on it and you should get rid of it all. I find it easiest after it rains. Good Luck!

• Susanne Constantino
      Susanne Constantino

Thank you for your reply. I’ve been digging for years, and feel like I’m getting nowhere.

I thought that maybe there was some kind of natural mixture, I could put together, that won’t harm the rest of the garden.

• Keep digging out as you see it. Might take several seasons. After a rain is easiest as the ground is moist. Any poison or remedy that would kill the mint would also kill all your other plants.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Unfortunately all you can do is keep digging them up.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I made the mistake once of planting it in my vegetable garden years ago, now any mint is grown only in pots not even close to my veggie garden. I bought a transplant garden hand shovel that was very narrow and dug up every root I could find, and they were very deep. I could never get all of it and was digging constantly to try to tame it.