DIY Toilet Cleaning Fizzy Tablets

$1

Cleaning the toilet isn't something most of us look forward to, but these homemade fizzy tablets can make that chore a little quicker and simpler. Just drop one or two of these tablets into the toilet bowl, let them fizz and dissolve, give a quick swish with your brush, and you've got a clean and fresh toilet!

diy toilet cleaning fizzy tablets

The base of this mixture is made with baking soda and citric acid. Citric acid can be found with the canning supplies in most stores. You'll need to combine 2 parts baking soda with 1 part citric acid. (I usually do a 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup citric acid). A few drops of essential oils can be added too (I like to use Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Oil).

diy toilet cleaning fizzy tablets

Then comes the part where you have to go gently. You'll need to give your mixture just one or two sprays of vinegar. If you use too much your mixture can start fizzing, and too much vinegar will also keep the mixture from drying out well into tablets. Usually just two quick sprays are all that's needed.

diy toilet cleaning fizzy tablets

After you have mixed in your sprays of vinegar, test the mixture and see if it will hold together in the shape of a tablet. I use a melon baller to make the tablets. If a test tablet holds together in my hand, I know I don't need to add any more vinegar.

diy toilet cleaning fizzy tablets

Then you can keep going and make the rest of your tablets. I lay mine out on a piece of wax paper to let them dry. I usually let mine set for a complete 24 hour day to be sure they have completely dried into hard tablets.

diy toilet cleaning fizzy tablets

Once they've dried you can transfer them to a covered container with a tight fitting lid to keep the moisture out. So now in addition to using my homemade all purpose cleaning spray in the bathroom, I have this safe, natural, and frugal way to clean the toilet bowl too!

You can get the complete printable recipe for these toilet fizzies over on my blog (or you can use the GO button below).

Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone

• Jerri-Jerlynne Allison

Can you use apple cider vinegar instead?

• Colleen

Can you use. In a septic tank

• My research showed that the items in this mixture are natural items that are safe to use in a septic system. My understanding is the main thing to avoid with septic tanks is too much bleach or other strong antibacterial, and this mixture is a milder option that does not have those strong chemicals.

• Tonya

Would this also work with well water?

• Tee

Sounds like a great idea. I’m going to try it.

• Amy

Yes I will try it