DIY Toilet Cleaning Fizzy Tablets

$1

Cleaning the toilet isn't something most of us look forward to, but these homemade fizzy tablets can make that chore a little quicker and simpler. Just drop one or two of these tablets into the toilet bowl, let them fizz and dissolve, give a quick swish with your brush, and you've got a clean and fresh toilet!

The base of this mixture is made with baking soda and citric acid. Citric acid can be found with the canning supplies in most stores. You'll need to combine 2 parts baking soda with 1 part citric acid. (I usually do a 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup citric acid). A few drops of essential oils can be added too (I like to use Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Oil).

Then comes the part where you have to go gently. You'll need to give your mixture just one or two sprays of vinegar. If you use too much your mixture can start fizzing, and too much vinegar will also keep the mixture from drying out well into tablets. Usually just two quick sprays are all that's needed.

After you have mixed in your sprays of vinegar, test the mixture and see if it will hold together in the shape of a tablet. I use a melon baller to make the tablets. If a test tablet holds together in my hand, I know I don't need to add any more vinegar.

Then you can keep going and make the rest of your tablets. I lay mine out on a piece of wax paper to let them dry. I usually let mine set for a complete 24 hour day to be sure they have completely dried into hard tablets.

Once they've dried you can transfer them to a covered container with a tight fitting lid to keep the moisture out. So now in addition to using my homemade all purpose cleaning spray in the bathroom, I have this safe, natural, and frugal way to clean the toilet bowl too!

You can get the complete printable recipe for these toilet fizzies over on my blog (or you can use the GO button below).

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone

• Colleen

Can you use. In a septic tank

• Winonalivin

If you use it to clean the toilet, it's headed for the septic tank in the end!

• Tonya

Would this also work with well water?

• Judy Kritikos

Can I just use my bath bomb mixture? It's only missing the vinegar - used water instead. Will that be as effective - or will it still work?

• Lisa Sinclair

I don't see why not. If the recipe is the same as above except for the water/vinegar usage.

• Carol Smith

I've made two batches of these and haven't quite perfected it yet. I guess there's a really close margin of too much or too little when adding the vinegar, because I keep thinking I have it right, make the tablets, and they expand while they're drying. I did try using an ice tray, and they stick to it and won't easily come out. Gonna keep trying!

• SC

Have you tried the silicone type of ice trays?

• Yes, it took me a few batches too before I got it just right. You do have to get a feel for not spraying on too much vinegar. You still will have some expansion while they are drying, but as long as they dry (instead of staying sticky), then you should be good! I also tried an ice cube try for one of my first batches and like you said, it didn't work!