How to paint metal patio furniture?

+7

How to paint metal patio furniture

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jun 27, 2019

Powerwash and use Rustoleum brand exterior spray paint. Have fun.

• Vickymcreations Vickymcreations on Jun 27, 2019

Interestingly Rustoleum hoes to guide for spraying metal furniture suggests sanding first - you can read more here http://makeityours.co.uk/how-to-guide/how-to-paint-metal-furniture/

• Your local hardware store should carry a rustoleum brand of spray paint suitable for metal. I used it on cast iron and it worked great.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 27, 2019

Clean furniture first. If there is any rust, remove with a stiff wire brush. I think its unanimous that RustOleum spray paint is the way to go. Once prep is finished and it is clean and dry, you are ready to paint. You might want to go with 3 coats of paint. Remember light handed spraying is the secret to success.

• Natalie Natalie on Jun 28, 2019

clean it really well, sand it lightly with 220 grit and then spray it with rustoleum metal paint. I would seal it with exterior rated poly as well since it's going on the patio.

• Amanda Amanda on Jun 28, 2019

Hi Julie. Clean it first very well. If it has rust use a wire brush to remove it. Then I would wipe it down well with vinegar. Rustoleum makes a good spray paint for metals. I would also put a protective top coat on after the paint has dried. Good Luck!

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Apr 08, 2021

Hi Julie, before you start clean furniture first. If there is any rust, remove with a stiff wire brush. Once the prep work is done and everything is clean and dry, you are ready to paint. I would suggest using Rustoleum. They have loads of colors to choose from and built in rust protection. You might want to go with 3 coats of paint. Remember light handed spraying is the secret to success.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 13, 2021

Hi Julie: I'd use Rustoleum or Krylon spray paint for outdoor furniture. Get one of those wire brushes used for wheels at the dollar store and scrape off any loose paint. Then, wash it with soap and water and rinse really well and let it sit in the sun to dry completely. Then, spray on newspaper on the grass so that you don't spray your patio:) Use light passes and let the paint dry between each coat. You don't want to use heavy coats as the paint will sag and look not so good, so a few light passes should do. I'd start with the underneath parts first so that you get the hang of it and, you won't scratch the paint on the upper side by trying to flip it over and paint the bottom. You can do this :)

Good luck

• Janice Janice on Apr 18, 2021

Hi Julie, clean the items well and maybe do a very light sand. While doing this you'll notice whether there's any areas needing any repairs. Let dry well and spray with two or three light coats of a good brand of spray paint. Rustoleum and Krylon are both good. Some of the spray paints even mention they are specificially for metal.....use one of those.

Be sure to do the spraying on a very still day! :) and mask off any specific areas you don't want painted or painted in a different color. It's important to not spray too close to the piece....otherwise you'll get runs and bubbles. Basically, follow the directions on the can. Your pieces will look good as new!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Jun 17, 2021

spray paint!