Vintage Book Wall Decor

$20

Follow me on Instagram (@renovationqueenlife) to see all of the DIY projects I'm doing!

I get so tired of the standard wall decor you see for sale in so many stores. I was wanting something with some texture and dimension above my bed, and I happen to have a great collection of old books. With these things in mind, my first book wall was born! Since then, I have also helped my mom (a retired librarian) create a book wall in her dining room using all of her favorite authors, books, and even a few of her favorite Christian hymns.

I know this looks a little silly, but stay with me on this! The first thing you need to do is figure out how big you want the wall decor space to be. I would outline the area with brackets using chalk. This will give you a good basis.

Then I would start imaging where the larger books you plan to use will go. By placing these ahead of time, you will save yourself a lot of headache! Just draw imaginary square books on your wall with chalk, and if you don't like the layout you can easily erase it and try again!

Now it's time to place the books! I used small nails to attach most of the books. I tried to choose books that are not overly heavy. Just put the nail a few pages back from the page you want to show. You can easily tape the remaining pages back over each other to cover the nail.

Have fun with the placement of the pages! I like to fan some out, fold some, and roll some up together. I find that a good mixture looks best.

After placing all of the actual books, start filling in holes with individual pages. I simply tape these to the wall with double sided tape.

After you are pleased with the placement of all books and pages, you can start adding greenery! I think this adds a whole new dimension to this already unique wall decor! I like to change out the florals seasonally.

This wall is decorated for Spring/Summer. For Fall, I will add red and orange leaves and maybe a few Fall flowers. For winter, I will go with some evergreens. I may even add some red berries for Christmas!

Here is the book wall in my bedroom. Right now, I have this one decorated for Independence Day. These vintage flags may be my favorite addition yet! I really feel like the possibilities are endless with this project!

For more, please follow me on Instagram @renovationqueenlife.

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/renovationqueenlife/

• Ellie

Very creative and would be great for a book lover. My only question is, how to you dust it without damaging the pages of the books???

• Kari Blume

A blower. Electric air pump or one of those little air blowers made for cleaning computer keyboards.

• Bev

I'd try a hairdryer.... put it on cool and adjust it to high, med, or low to see which setting works best. Most women already have one in their bathroom area.

• Peggy Comer

I wondered that as well..maybe lightly dusting?

• Ann

I was thinking the same thing!

• Hair dryer....or a can of air.

• Nicole Mazza HC

Since it’s made from vintage books, why not try dusting it with a vintage feather duster. 🤔

• Tamara

Reverse the hose on your vaccuum cleaner, it will become a blower.

• E L

All of these sound good. You would just have to watch the force of air - too strong and it might affect the positioning of the rolled or curled pages. Probably good idea to spread a sheet over whatever is under the display. Also think this would not be good located near an area that would have steam, i.e. near cooking area or bathroom exit door. Eventually, I suspect, that would cause discoloring as the uncoated pages would absorb moisture over time (think old ceiling tiles).

• Haley | renovationqueenlife

Ellie, I've had this hanging on my wall for over a year now, and it hasn't gotten overly dusty. I use a soft dusting wand to dusty around it, but it really has stayed relatively dust free.

• Ginger Stewart

How to diy a new light fixture out of the old three light style

• Angela

It's not about this project but I can't find the hack to clean the vent or filter in the stove top range vent?

• Michele

Your project is awesome and unique! I love it with the flags! Did you just use tapped to hold everything together? Thank you for sharing.

• Colleen

Just beautiful!