How can I makeover a fireplace using tile?

EmKrafty KathyKelli L. Milligan
+1

I would like for it to look like tile! The mantel is cedar! Which I will keep! The stones are very dark from the suet released from green wood! It is now gas!

• DesertRose

We removed the faux rock fireplace when we did ours. I would think you should be able to remove the faux rocks, especially since you want to tile over it. Have you considered peel and stick tiles? They make really good ones now. It is just a thought. I can see why you have a gas fireplace now and want to clean or remove the soot from the center piece in the room. (at least most fireplaces are the center of attention in a room to catch the eye)

• Kelli L. Milligan

Yes you can remove the faux rock and add ceramic tile or slabs of granite or marble. Will look great.

• Krafty Kathy

You can also frame over the stone with tile backerboard and tile it smoothly. Easier than demo and it can be returned to stone if you or next owner get tired of the tile.

• Em

Totally agree with Krafty Kathy, build out a frame and tile on it. It can then be changed out if you change your mind or sell. So easy to make it to the size you want.