Using Molds for a Custom Letter

$12

I'm always looking to reuse, repurpose, or customize my decor items as I get bored with them or am just in need of a little refresh! This wooden letter was on the wall in my daughter's nursery and I decided it needed a new look!

using molds for a custom letter

I used molds, paper clay, paint and wax to transform this plain wooden letter!

using molds for a custom letter

For this project I decided to use paper clay but there are many other options you can use with these molds depending on your specific project and needs.

using molds for a custom letter

I find that using pressure and something flat to push the clay into the mold helps a lot.

using molds for a custom letter

I also use the same plastic spatula to gently scrape the excess clay from the mold so you don't have any messy edges to fix once you remove the piece.

using molds for a custom letter

This is where the fun begins! I decided that for this application I would create a mosaic look by piecing the clay molds together to fit the letter. With paper clay you can remove the piece from the mold immediately as well as cut, bend, and shape it. It's a bit delicate though so use a soft touch! Once I removed the clay from the mold I used wood glue to secure it to my letter.

using molds for a custom letter

If you have any spaces you need to fill you can use smaller pieces and squeeze them in. One downfall to paper clay is that it will shrink a little and can crack as it dries. I really don't mind that though for the look I have in mind.

using molds for a custom letter

Once all of pieces are glued on I like to put something flat but not too heavy on top to keep the pieces from curling up.

using molds for a custom letter

Time to paint! (Be sure and let your molds dry. I usually let them sit overnight.)

using molds for a custom letter

A chalk paint brush with a pointed tip is perfect to get into all the nooks and crannies.

using molds for a custom letter

Once the paint was dry I coated the entire piece with clear wax.

using molds for a custom letter

Immediately after the clear wax I applied a small amount of black wax with a smaller brush and really worked in onto the crevices. Then I wiped away the black wax with a paper towel until I was happy with the look.

using molds for a custom letter

All done!! The possibilities are endless with these molds and clay and I'm so happy with the outcome. Let me know what project you would use this technique on and feel free to check out my other projects on Instagram!

To see more: //instagram.com/beautymark_furniture

• I've got six granddaughters who I'm pretty sure would love their initial done this way. Thanks for the inspiration!

• LaRhonda Bristow-Hay
    18 minutes ago

Can you use any clay or do you have to use paper clay? I don't have any experience with clay. I want you to know, that you did a beautiful job! I love it, you are an inspiration!❤

Also if you have any tips or advice working with clay, Please let me know!

Thank you for sharing all your beautiful ideas!🐦🌹🌵🌻🕇❤