Asked on Aug 22, 2019

Can I plant a large ginger root?

DesertRoseCarol HoffmanRedcatcec
+2

How would a large ginger root that has sprouted be if I planted it? Would it grow?

• Mogie

You can put it in the soil ( or in a pot with soil ).

Cover it completely with the soil ( allow the sprouting portion to peep out of the soil ).

Keep it in the sun ( If it is in the pot , put the pot in the sun ).

Water it daily, but do not allow water to accumulate in the pot / around the plant.

• Mandy Pontet

You are lucky to have a piece of ginger sprout on you, quickly get it in some potting compost/soil but dont plant too deep and if you can try to replicate it's normal growing conditions it should be happy.

You'll want to find a location that's in full to partial shade with rich, loamy, and well-draining soil for planting. Ginger is plant that thrives in hot and humid jungle-like conditions with dappled sunlight, growing under tree canopies. Unless you live somewhere hot and humid it's going to be best grown indoors in a humid room like a kitchen or bathroom.

• Redcatcec

Hi Carol,

I agree with Mandy, as she is excited over your ginger root growth. She gave you an excellent way to handle it.

• Carol Hoffman

Thanks I’m going to give it a try..