How to Decorate a Tobacco Basket for Seasons & Holidays

$40

I have been wanting a tobacco basket for a very long time. The other day as I was strolling through Home Goods killing time, I spotted a rather unusual one. I decided it was perfect for my front door. The bottom was different. That different bottom proved to be rather challenging to decorate around. I wanted the tobacco basket to be for all seasons and holidays so no hot glue. It needed to be easy to change out as needed.

how to decorate a tobacco basket for seasons holidays

When I saw this basket, I immediately thought it would look nice on my front door. I promptly ordered a suction wreath hanger for my glass front door.

I knew I wanted a sign so I bought a variety for fall and Christmas. These ended up being $2 or $3 a piece. I also bought one generic Welcome Friends to cover in between season/holiday times.

I picked up a small wreath and raided my ribbon stash. I grabbed a roll of jute twine to attach most of the items.

Then the fun begins... I started mixing and matching things.

For the bows, I used hook and loop adhesive circles. I could easy switch out bows this way.

I used twine and wove it through the back to attach the wreath.

Here is a rather generic one with a fall feel. I could even grab some of my hydrangea blooms and stick them inside instead of a wreath. The basket bottom is both a blessing and a curse. At times, it made decorating the basket difficult.

I am also going to do a Halloweeny one that is black and orange.

Have you heard of shopping your house? Well, I’mr shopping my yard for this post. I didn’t have a Christmasy wreath that was the right size so I went out and cut some branches. They smelled so much like Christmas! 🎄 I had a bin of things I bought last Christmas and didn’t end up using and this ribbon and little ornaments were the perfect addition to my festive tobacco basket. And those real branches smell awesome!

I used a small nail to hold the sign.

Which is your favorite? Spam me with other holiday and season ideas. I would love to hear how you would decorate this tobacco basket.

Here’s a shot that covers all the little decorative items that make up the different tobacco basket ideas.

• Darlyne

Where do find tobacco baskets?

• Peggy

I have antique tobacco baskets in my store and most antique stores will. They are 39x39 inches as the real baskets were .