Asked on Sep 14, 2019

How can I repurpose a cedar chest?

EmilyFlipturnHomeroad
+2

• Homeroad

Here is how I updated the one I had Cathy https://www.homeroad.net/2014/08/a-hope-chest-worth-trouble.html

• Flipturn

Homeroad's posting shows how to 'renew' a chest that was eventually sold still as a chest. Cathy is asking for ideas on how a chest might be reused for a purpose other than for what it was originally intended.

This is what 'repurpose' means.

• Flipturn

Here's pictures showing a hope chest/storage chest being used as a credenza, a chair, and a planter:

• Emily

A chest is a chest is a chest. Unless you want to deconstruct it and use the wood in other ways, like make shelves or small boxes. In the ideas shown there was only one (the trunk seating thing) that would be applicable and that trunk seating would be high seating. BTW sort of off topic but I once took a course called "Saving Things" and cedar trunks are not good for fabrics. I find chests very useful as coffee tables and of course they are great for storage