Asked on Sep 16, 2019

Would a mouse ear hosta grow better in heated or unheated interior?

Lynn SorrellCelebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome

I have a mouse ear hosta, it is a very small plant and has not spread much in the last few years. I am considering digging it up and putting it in a planter so I can enjoy it better. My question is if I do it this fall should I pull the planter into my semi heated garage or into an unheated building to protect it from our harsh (zone 4) winter?

• Hostas have bulbs and need to stay cold in the winter. If you put it in the planter just leave it and it will come up again in the spring.

• Robin Corzilius

you think that there will be enough dirt for protection? Maybe I will wait till spring as I have not decided on a planter yet.

• Leave your mouse ear hosta in the ground outdoors and mulch it well, it should be fine. It should not be brought indoors.

• Lynn Sorrell

Totally agree with Chloe Crabtree --- in your weather it needs in ground it will not survive cold in pot and needs to go thru season change outdoors Mouse Ear Hostas are little;give it good organic compost in Fall after it dies back into ground do not remove the leaves/stems and a little early morning sun or late in the eve. thru out growing season will help it grow better too. good healthy soil equals good strong healthy plants