Oak Dresser Makeover

$75

I LOVE to paint furniture and I have had this antique oak dresser for a while but never knew just what I wanted to do with it. I finally decided on painting the outside and leaving the drawers with their natural wood grain. I hit a few hiccups along the way but it finally turned out beautiful!

Here's what I started with. I tried adding a pop of color by spray painting the handles but I was really getting tired of the overall look and it was definitely time for a makeover!

I started out by thoroughly cleaning the piece. All of the products I used to transform this piece were from American Paint Company and there's really no other prep work required when using their clay based paints. Awesome right? Ain't no one got time to sand and prep! 😂😂

I started by applying an even coat to the entire shell of the dresser.

This paint is pretty thick so I like to use a fine spray mister with water to help thin it out a bit and apply it nice and evenly. You don't need much, just a couple sprays here and there.

After the first coat I had a little bit of bleed through and a water ring showing. When painting old oak furniture with an open grain you will run into this sometimes.

Once I knew which areas were giving me problems I simply sprayed them with a couple coats of shellac. This stuff comes in super handy for rings and bleed through because I don't care what kind of paint or primer you're using, if it doesn't have shellac in it the spots and rings will continue popping out after each layer of paint you apply.

After my second coat of paint was completely dry I applied my top coat over the entire piece. This stuff goes on super smooth with little to no brush marks.

Once the top coat was dry I applied some of their black glaze with a pointed brush and then wiped away the excess and blended it with a damp cloth. This added some beautiful shading and dimension. I also used it in light streaks across the top to bring out the grain.

Isn't it looking great so far? Next I gave the handles a little makeover using some of the same grey paint and layering on some black glaze and copper metallic over that.

What do you think?? I love the combination of the natural grain with the beautiful grey paint! If you love this piece and would like to see more please check out my Instagram!!

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Memorial Day Crafts
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

To see more: //instagram.com/beautymark_furniture

• Sheryl

Can this be done on a laminated dresser? This a beautiful project, and I hope to do this on my grandkids dresser.

• Kris | Beautymark Furniture

Yes! Painting laminate can be a bit more challenging than real wood but it's definitely doable! Prep is key so as she said above make sure you clean, sand, and prime. Once you have a good surface use a good quality chalk or clay based paint and you can also add black glaze as I did for a streaky wood grain finish. Seal with your choice of wax or sealer and enjoy!!

• Sylvia

What colour paint did you use - it looks great

• Valerie Burge

That turned out so beautiful!! I have a question about the shellac - wouldn't that give it a glossy finish and prevent the paint from adhering to it? This is the second time I've heard the shellac tip recently, but I don't really understand how that works.

• Kris | Beautymark Furniture

Hi Dawn! That's pretty much it! I usually like to do 2 or 3 thin coats of shellac, especially if the rings or bleed through are pretty bad and I let each coat dry before the next.