Alternative Christmas Tree

$0

The nights are drawing and as a family we are turning our minds to homemade decor for Christmas. This project combines autumn garden pruning's and a desire to create sustainable alternative Christmas decor.

We have made a variety of alternative Christmas trees using sticks and branches. Gather your branches and some potential bases, we have used a tree trunk for a larger branch, and a wood block for more of a table decoration.

Select a drill piece fractionally smaller than your branch and drill a hole in the selected base. Then whittle the base of your branch. We initially used a vegetable peeler - until it broke!!

Place your whittled branch into your drilled hole, you are aiming for a tight fit.

If you don't have a large suitable branch to make a tree from you can make a smaller piece with several branches into the one base.

Build up the sticks until you are happy with the design.

Now for the fun part, choosing how to decorate your alternative trees. we had a play with materials we had in the home.

The first tree we wrapped with a glitzy yarn, if you have not wrapped branches before find out more here.

For the small table decoration we had fun hanging beads from old jewelry on wire and hanging as baubles.

For the larger tree we made pompoms using odds and ends of wool. I strongly recommend a pompom maker - much quicker than the cardboard rings we used in my childhood! Making pompoms was a lovely family activity for the afternoon. If you are unfamiliar with making pompoms check out my pompom tutorial. But most of all have fun turning your autumn pruning's into decorations.

Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Vickymcreations

• Char

I brought in a branch about 7' high. Strung lights and miniature ornaments. Love it. One of my friends paid over $100 for a store one and always says mine looks so much better. Nature always provides if you stop and look around. Good job, yours look great.

• Sandy Rolon

I love Vickymcreations cute idea and in my search I also found this which is charmingly pretty too... going to merge the two ideas together... instead of a planter a tree trunk to stick the branches in...to give it more of a woodland charm... https://www.hometalk.com/6031263/my-alternative-christmas-trees